What's your favorite model and caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For me:

1. Lightning
2. Super 91
3. Blacktail

I love the short barrel, light weight and quick handling of the Lightning and with Chiefs 496gr NEW Conicals was the most accurate muzzleloader I've ever shot.

The Super 91 is long, graceful, downright sexy and a good shooter. But it's length can make it feel a bit heavy in the hills of southern Indiana.

The Blacktail or M 00 is just a dressed up M 97 with Black Ice coating and cool engraving on the laminated stock. I wish I still owned that gun.

I've never owned or seen the other models of Whites.

As far as caliber I prefer .504 over the others. To me they seem more accurate but that's probably just my bias. I do own 451s. Maybe I'll prove to myself that they're just as good lol. SKWIRL!

If you don't shoot Whites I'd still like to hear about your favorite muzzleloaders and calibers too.

Last edited:
For me:

1. Lightning
2. Super 91
3. Blacktail

I love the short barrel, light weight and quick handling of the Lightning and with Chiefs 496gr NEW Conicals was the most accurate muzzleloader I've ever shot.

The Super 91 is long, graceful, downright sexy and a good shooter. But it's length can make it feel a bit heavy in the hills of southern Indiana.

The Blacktail or M 00 is just a dressed up M 97 with Black Ice coating and cool engraving on the laminated stock. I wish I still owned that gun.

I've never owned or seen the other models of Whites.

As far as caliber I prefer .504 over the others. To me they seem more accurate but that's probably just my bias. I do own 451s. Maybe I'll prove to myself that they're just as good lol. SKWIRL!

If you don't shoot Whites I'd still like to hear about your favorite muzzleloaders and calibers too.
Plus the Lightning is more rare
Only 2000 were made in 1994. They all have wilson barrels and were all sold the same year of manufacture

I really wish i could afford to take that ESR off your hands. That would immediately become my new #1.
Actually it is gone. I sold it to a forum member and I saw they sold it to a different member. So I dont have it anymore. But I do have a gibbs , hexagonal whitworth and creedmore tryon as far as fast twist sidelocks . Any of those will shoot right up there with the ESR.
So will the volunteer

54 is my favorite caliber I have a Rem 700MLS, Palmetto Arms, and CVA Staghorn, and Lyman Deerstalker.

50 is probably my least favorite caliber…so naturally I have one of those too which happens to be my favorite rifle design…the Omega.

I like big bore for my side locks so I have a 58 cal ASM Hawken and a 75 cal Brown Bess musketoon. Hope to have a 75 cal blunderbuss soon.

My Whitetail .410 handles better than my Knight Mountainer 45 1-20 & LRH 50 cal but they all serve a purpose
If you throw in smokeless then it’s my CVA Apex 358. I also have a brand new Omega 40 caliber, but I haven’t even put a scope on that yet.

Greg

Actually it is gone. I sold it to a forum member and I saw they sold it to a different member. So I dont have it anymore. But I do have a gibbs , hexagonal whitworth and creedmore tryon as far as fast twist sidelocks . Any of those will shoot right up there with the ESR.
So will the volunteer
But, imho, the dont look as good as the ESR. Some day the stars will align and i will have the $ at the same time that i find another one for sale.

Back