What's the least expensive, ACCURATE, sabot/bullet ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
Up here in Vermont it's tough to shoot in the winter because most ranges are snowed in, but we can plan and reload and stock up for nice weather. I know it's been covered in various ways in these forums before but what's the concensus currently for least expensive way to shoot your .50s at paper? I'm sure some of you guys :) do quite a bit of shooting. Of course if it ain't accurate it's not interesting...bulk bullets and sabots? What specifics to order? I just spent 1/2 hour looking through MidsouthShooter Supply and couldn't figure out if I wanted .452 or .451 bullets and which sabots went with each. Couldn't find bulk SW bullets or equivalents and no Barnes either. It pains me to shoot at > $1 a pop :(
Thanks Gentlemen.

smong2000

For me that answer would be a bulk box (100) of 10mm 200 grain Hornady XTP's and some MMP HPH-40/50 Blue sabots.... These are very accurate and a proven harvester of whitetails....

TC Cheapshots might be a little cheaper - not sure

If you have to go with a .451/.452 maybe the Speer Unicore 300 grain bullets might be what you want - they are less expensive than the Gold Dot... [/u]

I don't know the very least expensivem but XTP bullets and MMP sabots are reasonable.

What gun you putting them thru?

Mike, they're going through Mr. White's old Omega,

I've shot <1/2" groups with both 250 SWs and the Barnes 245 (the small HP all copper boattail). I think it is close to the most accurate weapon that I have, got a custom Savage and Tikka that will do better - sometimes :shock:, and of course the 17HMR makes nice small groups. The thing that is so cool is that no one is suprized (including me) when I get great groups with a centerfire and good loads, but I enjoy the shock value at the range when you do it with a ML so I plan to do a lot more booming with the Omega and want to get some supplies in so I can forget how much I paid by the time I get to the range. :D I want to shoot golfballs (eggs) at 200yds so need some practice...

xtps-240s or 300 grain bullets and harvester crushrib or mmp sabots.

Easily the least expensive bullet THAT I WOULD USE would be one of the Hornady .452 XTPS...either the 250gr(#45200) or the 300gr(#45230). Add to that one of the MMP 45/50 sabots and you're good to go. Which sabot to use would depend on what your bore dimension is.

For me the cheapest load I use is a Harvester sabot wrapped around a home cast lead bullet made from wheelweights.

Casting your own bullets gives you one more way to enjoy your front stuffer.

I'd go along with the XTP's in bulk and MMP sabots. They're also good hunting load

250/300 XTP's in .452 and another is 375 Buffalo Bullets/SSB's

I'm shooting 300 grain 44 cal XTP's with Harvester Crush Rib 50/44 sabots. They give accuracy to spare and are about as economical as it gets...

this is a good topic. i have been asking about the Gold Dots for the exzact same season. i want to be able to go to the range a few times a month and fire of 50 shots to get to the accurate 200 yard mark. i know my current bullet (.290 tmz) could do it but i would go broke taking the amount of shots it would take to get the consistant accuracy. the xtp's seem to be everybody's choice. how much are they and how are the on deer? and what sabots to match with an omega?

The XTP come in bulk, 100 to a box. As far as sabots that depends on your rifle. Each rifle is a little different you'll have to experiment to find what's right for your. The XTP are a good bullet for hunting. 250 or 300, it's a matter personal preference.

smong200,

You gotta tell us which gun you're shootin. Kinda hard to say without that info as some guns naturally gravitate to different bullets.

great advice, here's some prices on bulk bullets

Spit,
It's an Omega that I got used from a prominant member of this forum.

Thanks for the great advice from everyone. Here's what I net out of it;

Hornady XTPs seem to be a natural choice in .452 or the .40 as they are available in 100 packs and appear to be consitently solid performers. Looks like they can be around 25 cents each.

Some votes for Speer Gold Dots.

Cast bullets sound like something to explore as well, maybe get them really reasonable or make them.

Sabots are then personalized to your bore, available in 50 packs.

Here are some prices from MidSouthShooter;

RELOADING / JACKETED PISTOL / .400 DIA /

MAGNUS BULLETS 10MM/40 CAL .400 DIA. 200 GR TRUNCATED CONE 250PK

Item: Status: Quantity: Price:
051-J144 In Stock
$33.55 for 250 :D

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 10MM .400 DIA. 200GR XTP 100CT*
Order No: Status: Price:
003-40060 In Stock
$16.43

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 45 CAL .452 DIA 250GR HOLLOW POINT XTP 100CT*
003-45200 On Order (click) (Substitutes available)
$17.74

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 45 CAL .452 DIA 240GR XTP MAG 100CT
003-45220 Low Stock
$22.38

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 45 CAL .452 DIA 300GR XTP 50CT
003-45230 On Order (click)
$11.13

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 45 CAL .452 DIA 300GR XTP MAGNUM 50CT*
003-45235 On Order (Substitutes available)
$13.16

SPEER BULLETS 454CAL .452DIA. 300GR GOLD DOT HOLLOW POINT 50 PER BOX
021-3974 Low Stock
$16.09

SPEER BULLETS 45 CAL .452 DIA. 250GR GOLD DOT HOLLOW POINT 50 PER BOX
021-4484 In Stock
$13.85

Knight lead bullets with sabots. these suckers are cheap, accurate and have great knock down power.

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.asp ... eadBullets

leadbullets-c.jpg

I shoot 240 grain hard cast Laser Cast bullets in my 44 Mag and have been turning over trying them with a Crush Rib in my Triumph. They kill deer just fine out of my S&W, I don't see any reason they wouldn't be even more effective out of my T/C.

I think last time I bought a box it was around $40.00 for 500...

let's go further

I see what is inexpensive, now what is inexpensive I can shoot in practicing for hunting? I am using the TMZ 250 grain? I am also looking at using the Parker BE 250 grain. What is the equal in target performance to keep my eye in shape for next year? I do realize I need to shoot my huntng rounds prior to going in the field, but practice and cheap?

If you're shooting "pointy" bullets then I don't know if you are going to find an inexpensive bullet that duplicates POI, depending on how far you are shooting.

From handloading for many decades I can advise that the same weight & configuration bullets from different manufacturers, charged & loaded identically often don't duplicate POI.

You've been given a number of good suggestions, best thing you can do is experiment with a few...

Latest posts

Back