What would you do?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would scrub it out real good with a nylon brush and some Hoppes #9 Solvent and then see what's what. But if it is pitting, be prepared to pay for a new barrel. I agree with the above assessments and just don't see T/C giving you a new barrel.

You may be right about T/C not covering the barrel. Not that it would change their minds about covering it, but I would think twice about buying anothe rone of their guns again. 50 rounds and pitting is not my idea of quality workmanship

vabowhntr said:
I thought I had pitting as well in my Omega right at the sabot/powder junction with BH209. I took a bronze brush and put it in my drill and let it rotate fast for 30 seconds or so with Hoppes. Presto, no more pitting! I think it is a hard carbon buildup on the inside of the bore.

I would try what vabowhntr said.

taylorhaught said:
You may be right about T/C not covering the barrel. Not that it would change their minds about covering it, but I would think twice about buying anothe rone of their guns again. 50 rounds and pitting is not my idea of quality workmanship

I seriously doubt it's pitting. If it is, it's more than likely due to something you did, not the metal.

I cleaned the gun this afternoon with Hopps No. 9 solvent instead of the stuff from T/C. i am convinced that T/C stuff is just water. I couldnt beleive how much crud came out of the "clean" barrel. Also, the "pitting" I was complaing about was indeed carbon and its gone now. I also used the Montana bore conditioner as well.

No more T/C cleaning solvents or bore butter for me

Glad you got her all fix up taylorhaught.Ya alot of this so call good stuff,is mainly just water
taylorhaught said:
I cleaned the gun this afternoon with Hopps No. 9 solvent instead of the stuff from T/C. i am convinced that T/C stuff is just water. I couldnt beleive how much crud came out of the "clean" barrel. Also, the "pitting" I was complaing about was indeed carbon and its gone now. I also used the Montana bore conditioner as well.

taylorhaught said:

glad to hear all is well !!

Glad to hear you got it figured out. That Montana X-treme "Cowboy Blend" makes quick work of that fouling too.

I use windsheild washer and gaz line deicer and it work perfectly and the inside of the barrel is clean and shining.
Taureau noir

pitting

Glad yours came out. Mine didn't . I sent it back to T/C and got a note saying that pitting due to poor cleaning and oiling isn't covered. I am absolutely anal about bore care, I shot my Omega twice a week for 3 years ,she didn't have time to rust . I shoot light charges of T7 and never saw a speck of brown on any patch.T/C wouldn't budge.I bought a Black Diamond XR .50 in July and there is a perfect ring of pits just at the muzzle... I've taken to using JB paste ever couple hundred shots or so and it IS amazing what comes out of a clean barrel. I have noticed that T/C's packing preservative is not too good. My buddy got a new Omega with rust in the bore.My first guess at the cause of the pitting in my Omega was erosion as it started where the sabot seats and continued up the bore for about 4 inches.However, erosion at pressures less than 45k psi is almost nill. My guess was very fine tool marks . I didn't have the bore scoped to confirm, but that is my guess. It cost me a fine rifle. Not happy about it either.BTW my daufghter's Traditions Tracker has 1100 rounds through it and has a perfect bore.I had 1500 through my ( late) Omega .

Back