Wearing Blue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You hit that nail on the head muzzleloader48, I'm 80 this month and have to agree. Some of the friends I use to run around with; racing, hiking, hunting, etc. will start telling about what they did and you know it didn't happen that way you were there. What do you do - call them out or just let it go?

When younger I would tell them they were full of crap, now its not worth the battle, it won't change anything in their mind. Now I try to remember the good times, help guys out with my limited knowledge and get some good naps. :coffee:

View attachment 1238
You hit it all right on the head Buck. Just a roll of the eyes and good ole' "yup".

Good fortune has befallen you and 48 because it sounds like you are of the small percentile not guilty of the above mentioned. At 74+ I'm reminded by my friends often enough I've already told them about that to the point I start by saying " I might have already told you this" and they say "yes" or politely suffer through it again. My life has been eventful enough there is no need for embellishment. I have patience with my peers as old age is a privilege not given to many. Out
Of the groups of us that ran around together (12-15) there's only two plus myself that are left (one dreams that he was better than he was and the other can't remember). One has turned out to be a miserable old turd and the other is so crippled up so bad he can't do anything but follow a walker and drag his oxygen bottle around. I tell the wife if I was in that condition I would rather not be around, bad enough with knee and leg problems. You have to be hard and tuff to get this old is what she tells me ....

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, Buck. However, you get to be a grumpy old fart and nobody cares.

So, it has its perks.

Amen Pete, you grumpy old fart..... we should start a club on here "The Grumpy Old Fart's Club", have to be at least 70 years of age, heck that's half of Jonathan's group. :cheers: :thumbs up: :coffee:

buck conner.jpg

Long ago I used to read a lot of Chuck Adams' stories. But even back then they often struck me as puzzling. I don't know of any "real" hunters who've had what seems to be 100% success on everything. I personally knew a famous bow hunter in Georgia who was written up in magazines and had many trophies in the books. He never came close to what Adams claims.

It wouldn't be very challenging or fun if we were always successful. The game deserves to win too. I try to give the game every chance I can. I want all it's senses working at 100%. Only then can I feel ok about taking it.

..... I'm reminded by my friends often enough I've already told them about that to the point I start by saying " I might have already told you this" and they say "yes" or politely suffer through it again...
I do that now at 64. Perhaps I should be worried :oops:

Long ago I used to read a lot of Chuck Adams' stories. But even back then they often struck me as puzzling. I don't know of any "real" hunters who've had what seems to be 100% success on everything.
I met Fred Bear at a Colorado Collector Show in Denver back in the early 70's, he was doing a TV spot advertising the event. He said he never claimed a 100% on anything, and if someone claimed so they should be questioned. Jack O'Connor wrote about more misses than hits with his Africian hunts as did some of the other old timers. I only simmed over a few of Adams articles at the newsstands and didn't buy any of them. 😕

As Mossie says " I might have already told you this" and he has several times ... :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

I find that, at 73, I don't make up stories, but repeat the same, real stories about exploits of my younger days. It's a way to hang on to the glories of youth and avoid accepting the fact that I'm getting old.

I also frequently relate my glories in the hunting bush to anyone who wants to know. Thing is, though, that on occasion one or two might actually be true. :dancing chicken:

Well, I just bought some new Wrangler jeans. I got the stoned washed version. It's a lighter blue than the regular unwashed version.

I'll wear them hunting this year and see if it makes a difference. What worked for me in the 50's should still work. We'll see.

Of course, my shirt will still be my normal red-black checkered wool.

I was sure someone was going to tell me it won't work. You guys are no fun.

I'll just be hunting for bear from now on. They see blue too. We'll see how it goes.

You'll have to show me a picture of you wearing those. I don't know what they are. :p

You'll have to show me a picture of you wearing those. I don't know what they are. :p
Pete, those are the jeans that you see the cute little guys with the cute little "man buns" wearing. Actually those jeans were the style in the early 1960's.

I do know that the "sheen" from worn bluejeans will catch my eye, and combine that with movement........ That said, most of my earlier hunting was done from a blind made up of honeysuckle and/or kudzu with holley branches that hid my Wrangler jacket and pants pretty well at the time..

Part of the problem in the old days is we didn't know about the brighteners put in today's detergents. Those have to be avoided no matter what you wear. Camo included.

In my 50+ years of hunting, I learned the most important thing is stealth which is the Control of your MOVEMENT, and Patience when Staying Motionless, (Especially in the OPEN) I've worn all shades of colored clothes including bright red and other people didn't see me. Doing F&I Tactical events, as a colonial, ex ranger, I sat in the woods while my enemy sneaked (loose term) by me and a few of my team. after dispatching their unit, They asked where we came from. We told them we'd been right there, watching for about 45 minutes as they discussed their maneuvers. If anyone watches sports shows, they've seen the ad for camo's. The forest views that you see appear as a picture until, one at a time, hunters in camo jump into a jumping jack motion. But the real question IS: Where they apparently unnoticeable due to the camo clothes, OR the fact they were motionless. My studies have proven to many that "IT IS THE LATTER". So if you and you friends want something to do that's productive, Take a weekend for yourselves, go afield and forest, and do your own experiments. Do them quick BTSHTF.

As a still hunter for 65 years I know for sure motion is what's most important to avoid. Camo was invented for the military to fool humans. It does that well. However, game is not so easily fooled. Don't move and you can wear a clown suit. Move and it won't matter what you wear.

Latest posts

Back