Pea shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I had to run to the store this morning to get something for Ma, so I grabbed a couple bags of navy beans, one for the bean pot and the other to make bean soup. Of course, I had to wait in line and as I stood there, I got this old-time recall spurred by the bags of beans. I damn near laughed out loud thinking, "I wonder what some of these ladies would think if I told them I was getting the beans to give to my grandkids to keep them occupied outside with pea shooters?" I remember as a kid they sold the straw-like shooters in the little corner neighborhood grocery stores that were so much a part of my growing up. We'd have pea shooter wars between kids from one block and kids from our block. Yes, an eye or two got hit but after a couple tears, we'd be right back at it since being breath propelled didn't allow for much to hurt with.

I look at some people's kids today and wonder just how in the heck they'll make it in this world today since the parents do nothing but coddle and cuddle. When I was five or six years old, tv was a huge old machine that sat on a table with rabbit ears and we got maybe three channels on it. The programing sucked so bad the being outside playing was a way to escape that damned thing. We were outside from as soon as we got dressed until well after dark, finding some adventure to wander off into or backyard games with the neighborhood kids ate up the hours between breakfast, lunch and supper. I remember going to the store and buying a couple Hostess Twinkies and a bag of chips along with three hot dogs cut from a string of them and a can of pork and beans to put in a back pack from the army surplus store, then hopping on the bicycle with said pack and riding with for or five other guys to the edge of town where some sandstone caves were found at the back of about a 100 acres of willow scrub and slough. We'd carve out our own trail and find untold numbers of things to do while searching those caves out. When we arrived at the caves we'd set a small fire and everyone would warm up whatever the brought that needed heating and we lay bake eating and putting together tales of horse thieves and bank robbers. We be gone all frickin day and be home for dinner. I see kids today that would get lost inside a Walmart.

My grandsons once asked me about what I did as a kid and I told them similar tales as this. They just looked at me like I was lost, when in fact they were. "Did you know how to read a compass at that age?", was one question in reply. "Compass?" "I had no compass and nobody else did either". " We paid attention to our surroundings and we never got lost". "We never left a fire with coals still hot and we never left our trash there or anywhere else". "What we had inside those acres of willow scrub and the caves was precious to us and if someone among us left anything that wasn't there when we got there they'd get the business handed to them".

I look back at all of what I had in those young years and realize that those year were my golden years, not today. Much of today's youth will never experience anything close to what I did, largely because they've never been given the incentive to do so. With my lung disease I have a tough time getting out into the woods like I used to but when a grandson has asked about mushroom hunting I was all over it. He learned a lot in one trip and today his interest is still one that he looks forward to each spring. Another grandson wanted to hunt deer so we began with the basics of shooting in a gun to hunt with then spending hours upon hours in the woods scouting and learning how to read the little clue-like things deer leave for us to unscramble. He learned how to walk and pay attention to details at the same time while holding his empty gun at ready. He learned about patience. He learned that binoculars weren't just for looking AT things, but rather to look thru things to see what was lurking behind it. Today he's a very smart deer hunter and does very well. I generally pay dearly for excursions like these but the cost of doing so is so well worth the expense.

Its just amazing at how much thought goes into or comes from buying a couple cans of creamed corn and a couple bags of navy beans.... and the memories from times long past. I hope I never lose that. I hope my grandkids and now great grandkids never feel like they can't ask about where I've been or what I used to do.

LOL...Yepper the good old days. I remember the pea shooters well. We'd often use unripe/green choke cherries. they were round and shot better than navy beans. My cousin and I were pretty good with them too. We could hit sparrows in the yard! Never hurt them. We'd also have battles with them. Amazing one of us never lost an eye!
This post brings back a lot of memories. Looks like we were cut from the same mold.
IMO technology is great but it does come at an expense for common sense. One of the things that has really helped me is the use of trail cams. I don't have the fancy cellular ones and I still have to go out and swap out SD cards but it saves me time and gas and legwork having to get up early on weekends (when I worked) to go scout for game movement. Other than that not much has changed with me. I carry my cell phone for emergency.

Last edited:
We never had pea shooters, but we would use long straws and make darts out of Mom‘s needles that had the round end on them. They would stick into us pretty deep.

I remember getting in trouble for using the beans Mom had bought for dinner in our wrist rockets. We normally would use acorns but there were none on the ground.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The youngsters today don't know the fun of playing with pea shooters. Finding rhe "perfect" fork in a tree branch for a symmetrical sling shot and fixing it up with rubber straps from an old inner tube and a leather patch for your ammo which was usually pebbels. Pea gravel was best.
My cousin and I were usually never unarmed! When we got a bit older, 7 or so, we got bb guns and we also had our trusty 17# fiberglass recurve bows and a quiver full of arrows.
Man this thread is bringing back memories!

I remember in high school math class, the teach would do his spiel for half the period then we'd do the problems. He'd read the sports section while we were supposed to be working on those problem. I happened to have a rubber band of unusual proportions, so I folded up a slip of paper until it was a tight, about 1/8" diameter and maybe three inches long. The paper got folded in half making a dart-like projectile. The guy on one side held one end of the rubber band, the guy on the other side the same while I slipped the paper over the rubber band and slid back with my chair until I had about 200 pounds of pull on the thing, took careful aim at the bold print at the top of the page and let if fly. It took that teacher right out of his chair backwards, hitting him squarely in the forehead. It's a good thing it was hunting season so the three of us had something to do while on a week's suspension. Lots of pheasants came home in those five days. I have no idea what the teach did with the rubber band.

When the two grandsons from here in town were maybe 11-13 years old I stopped at some railroad trach just outside of Two Harbors Minnesota where taconite trains crossed a highway. Taconite pellets were a foot deep along the tracks so I's stop every so often while at the cabin and fill 5 gallon pails with the pellets for the two kids to use with their wrist rockets. They thought that was the coolest thing.... but as I later found out, the neighbors not so much.

MrTom, I used to pickup taconite pellets on the RR tracks along the Mississippi river, when growing up in St. Paul. They definitely make GREAT wrist rocket ammo, and the price can’t be beat! They were never there in the depth you’re talking about, but they were there for the picking…

No shortage of impromptu targets, in the river bottoms!

Never used the milk caps as a rubber band round but I remember the milk bottles with those caps.

In high school the disciplinarian assistant principle drove a volkwagon to school each day and parked it "just so" in the lot so nobody could park close enough to scratch it. One day a bunch of us picked it up and turned it 90 degrees so it was looking at two snow banks, one directly in front and one immediately behind so he really had to work at getting the thing on the road. Another morning we managed to pop the lock with a spring bar and we set a can full of garbage from the kitchen area on the driver's seat, upside down. We used a piece of stiff cardboard over top to flip the can, then slid the cardboard out from under it. Quiet the stir resulting from that maneuver. Spring day, maybe 90 degrees with the windows closed.

Bronco's slingshot from a forked tree branch comment brought back some memories too. M80's, cherry bombs and silver salutes we're common back then and of course we did some experimenting with those. Pounding a potato in someone's exhaust pipe made for some laughs too.

Pea shooters and spitballs, then we moved on to rubber band guns. Then we made things from pens that shot flaming match heads but I don’t remember how we did it. Eventually we worked up to tennis ball mortars with lighter fluid propellant.
Kids today lack imagination.

Love it.

We use to woodchuck hunt on the way to and from school. The 243 rifle was locked in my pick up truck, bolt pulled back open. The principal would ask us like minded guys to make sure the trucks were locked. No one ever even thought about using it as a weapon against others. What the heck is social media doing to our flimsy minded youth these days?

The youngsters today don't know the fun of playing with pea shooters. Finding rhe "perfect" fork in a tree branch for a symmetrical sling shot and fixing it up with rubber straps from an old inner tube and a leather patch for your ammo which was usually pebbels. Pea gravel was best.
My cousin and I were usually never unarmed! When we got a bit older, 7 or so, we got bb guns and we also had our trusty 17# fiberglass recurve bows and a quiver full of arrows.
Man this thread is bringing back memories!
And using the tongue from a worn out pair of shoes for the ammo pouch. I remember getting the tree branch from a Mulberry tree. WOW

You guys are really bringing back memories. Pea shooters, bb guns, woodchuck hunting and guns in the school parking lot. I had a Benjamin pump 22 cal and graduated to a Sheridan 5mm that I took woodchucks, squirrels and pigeons. I lived next to a grocery store that had a plague of rats at one time. Could shoot after hours for days on end. I guess I kept the population whittled down enough where it didn't look too bad to the owners until other amusements came along for me. Great memories , good times and still friends with many of my childhood chums.

One Fall some friends and I, maybe 12 or 13 yr old, found a dead porcupine and harvested a bunch of quills. In the same area there was a weed with a hollow stock we called cow parsnip and mountain ash with soft orange berries which fit the stocks nicely. We pushed the quills through the berries and had a wicked blow gun.

This reminds me of a type of "pea shooter" my old man showed me how to make. I can't remember the details now, but it was a hollow wooden tube and wood plunger. We placed dogwood berries in the tube and rammed the tight-fitting plunger down the bore. It would launch the berries with a loud pop and enough speed to make welts on the skin of anyone nearby. I'm going to do a search and try to find what woods were used and how we made them.

Last edited:
I had to run to the store this morning to get something for Ma, so I grabbed a couple bags of navy beans, one for the bean pot and the other to make bean soup. Of course, I had to wait in line and as I stood there, I got this old-time recall spurred by the bags of beans. I damn near laughed out loud thinking, "I wonder what some of these ladies would think if I told them I was getting the beans to give to my grandkids to keep them occupied outside with pea shooters?" I remember as a kid they sold the straw-like shooters in the little corner neighborhood grocery stores that were so much a part of my growing up. We'd have pea shooter wars between kids from one block and kids from our block. Yes, an eye or two got hit but after a couple tears, we'd be right back at it since being breath propelled didn't allow for much to hurt with.

I look at some people's kids today and wonder just how in the heck they'll make it in this world today since the parents do nothing but coddle and cuddle. When I was five or six years old, tv was a huge old machine that sat on a table with rabbit ears and we got maybe three channels on it. The programing sucked so bad the being outside playing was a way to escape that damned thing. We were outside from as soon as we got dressed until well after dark, finding some adventure to wander off into or backyard games with the neighborhood kids ate up the hours between breakfast, lunch and supper. I remember going to the store and buying a couple Hostess Twinkies and a bag of chips along with three hot dogs cut from a string of them and a can of pork and beans to put in a back pack from the army surplus store, then hopping on the bicycle with said pack and riding with for or five other guys to the edge of town where some sandstone caves were found at the back of about a 100 acres of willow scrub and slough. We'd carve out our own trail and find untold numbers of things to do while searching those caves out. When we arrived at the caves we'd set a small fire and everyone would warm up whatever the brought that needed heating and we lay bake eating and putting together tales of horse thieves and bank robbers. We be gone all frickin day and be home for dinner. I see kids today that would get lost inside a Walmart.

My grandsons once asked me about what I did as a kid and I told them similar tales as this. They just looked at me like I was lost, when in fact they were. "Did you know how to read a compass at that age?", was one question in reply. "Compass?" "I had no compass and nobody else did either". " We paid attention to our surroundings and we never got lost". "We never left a fire with coals still hot and we never left our trash there or anywhere else". "What we had inside those acres of willow scrub and the caves was precious to us and if someone among us left anything that wasn't there when we got there they'd get the business handed to them".

I look back at all of what I had in those young years and realize that those year were my golden years, not today. Much of today's youth will never experience anything close to what I did, largely because they've never been given the incentive to do so. With my lung disease I have a tough time getting out into the woods like I used to but when a grandson has asked about mushroom hunting I was all over it. He learned a lot in one trip and today his interest is still one that he looks forward to each spring. Another grandson wanted to hunt deer so we began with the basics of shooting in a gun to hunt with then spending hours upon hours in the woods scouting and learning how to read the little clue-like things deer leave for us to unscramble. He learned how to walk and pay attention to details at the same time while holding his empty gun at ready. He learned about patience. He learned that binoculars weren't just for looking AT things, but rather to look thru things to see what was lurking behind it. Today he's a very smart deer hunter and does very well. I generally pay dearly for excursions like these but the cost of doing so is so well worth the expense.

Its just amazing at how much thought goes into or comes from buying a couple cans of creamed corn and a couple bags of navy beans.... and the memories from times long past. I hope I never lose that. I hope my grandkids and now great grandkids never feel like they can't ask about where I've been or what I used to do.
Pea shooter fights, bottle rocket fights using a Coke bottle as the launcher, BB guns for some "real" hunting -- used to shoot pigeons along the RR track and take them to the back door of the local Chinese eatery and got $0.10 a piece. They were used in the Chicken Chow Mein! Also a sling shot using the taconite iron balls that would fall off the rail cars...and lastly, kitchen match fights using a match shooter made from a wood clothes line clips that have a spring...Good Times, Great memories
Thank you

Back