Unloading an In-line - Breech Plug removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Are there any issues with unloading a in-line ML by removing the breech plug; Optima V2 using pellets.

I was thinking that if the weather is bad or damp, I could unload my rifle when returning to camp, then reload the next morning.
Remove the breech plug and let the pellets drop out into my hand or bag, followed by pushing the bullet (50 cal Hornady Bore Driver FTX) out.
Thanks guys!

I'm probably wrong here but I don't think the pellets will simply drop out like that. The threaded end of the barrel is probably smaller diameter than the front end.

Sometimes they will drop out, sometimes you have to fiddle with them if they hang up but it does work. I drop them out the breech and push the bullet back out the muzzle.

Should be no problem. But I’m not sure, as deermanok says - would they come out (fit through breech)? I haven’t used pellets for 15-20 years so I don’t recall. As to reusing them, I personally wouldn't for a hunt. If the pellets may be damp or they are chipped/broken and the bullet (skirt) is engraved by the rifling - I’d load fresh components. But then again I’m one of those who load in September and may not fire/unload for 2-6 months or more. Never been an issue for me.

If you just wanted to get them out you could use a worm and pull the bullet from the muzzle (would make the bullet unuseable) and dump out the powder. I’ve done that a time or two.

I'm probably wrong here but I don't think the pellets will simply drop out like that. The threaded end of the barrel is probably smaller diameter than the front end.
I had a stuck bullet on first loadings, anyway, they drop right out.

Reloaded and fired OK. Zero damage to Bore Driver skirt.

With the CVA and QRBP plug, it’s easy and I do it at elk camp if I am not able to shoot it up instead.
Thank you sir. That’s kinda what I was hoping…seems easy enough and I’ve had to do it on a stuck bullet/crud ring issue and it worked like a charm. Sometimes the BB falls in the right hole.

I’ve done that before in my Tradition Pursuit, pulled the breech plug and the pellets dropped right out. Should work for the Optima also.

just wondering if you push out a bullet / sabot can u re use the sabot?

The bullet will be fine as long as the tip has not been deformed. The sabot is questionable but maybe re-usable as long as you line up the sabot so that clean, un-embossed plastic lines up with the rifling.

just wondering if you push out a bullet / sabot can u re use the sabot?
When I did it as mentioned above, it did not damage the skirt on the Bore Driver FTX bullet. I cleaned the rifle of crud, reloaded, and fired accurately. Sabot, I have no idea.

I've done it with loose powder, its a pain in the butt imho. Seems like that could be one advantage of using pellets.
Agree 100%...I found its just better to shoot out the load with loose powder. If you do remove the breech plug the loose powder gets all over the breech, best to remove the barrel assembly before taking out the plug. I would not reuse the pellets for hunting if you take them out like that, save them for the range.

When I did it as mentioned above, it did not damage the skirt on the Bore Driver FTX bullet. I cleaned the rifle of crud, reloaded, and fired accurately. Sabot, I have no idea.

I was likening the plastic skirt to a sabot, same principle. If the skirt hasn't picked up an imprint of the rifling when first loaded, no sweat. My suggestion was meant for if the skirt [sabot] did imprint the rifling. I think it would perform best on the second loading if the skirt was aligned between rifling marks that had been made. No biggie.

I was likening the plastic skirt to a sabot, same principle. If the skirt hasn't picked up an imprint of the rifling when first loaded, no sweat. My suggestion was meant for if the skirt [sabot] did imprint the rifling. I think it would perform best on the second loading if the skirt was aligned between rifling marks that had been made. No biggie.
Only the front/bullet nose end of the skirt grabbed a tiny bit. It is designed to obturate and spread the skirt to engage the rifling and provide a seal. So all is good.

Here is a pic of some recovered skirts. They fall out like a shotgun wad. D92C7273-EFA4-4BFA-807C-59A92E82CC6A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back