Loved it.. Now Despise it

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
So Illinois muzzy only season was/is Friday Saturday and Sunday. Wife hosed me last minute so I missed opening day. Which was OK Temps were hot with a big cold front coming in late tonight. So I expected awesome hunting Sunday morning.

I test fire all my rifles regardless if I just used it last weekend. Glad I did as it was way off. Cva optima lr with konus pro. Packed light thinking I wouldn't need anything cause I "had" it dialed in. 6rds of my barnes pack to get a miserable test group. Decide to hunt the woods Saturday morning with only close in shots till I can get back after it. No deer it was pretty warm already. But back at trying to figure this thing out. More shots with bad results. Removed the scope and base. Found scope was loose. Cleaned the gun. Also having huge blowback issues yet again. It looks like the breech plug is pitted at the base where the primer sits. Same place the blowback is worst. And the orings pop apart at. Fast forward now.... Scope won't hold zero. Was also loose. New Breech plug is shot already. Pack and a half of barnes. Out of blackhorn now. Filthy gun.. No deer on last Antlered deer hunt of the season. Back home and not at deer camp. Hope everyone else had a better weekend! Anyone looking for a pos muzzy I'm in the market for a new one.

Pic of the bad breechplug.

Attachments

• 17021722252985604192631600013108.jpg
    17021722252985604192631600013108.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 2
That stinks. I would ditch the Konus scope myself. That is the reason I try to always have my primary hunting gun and a backup gun at camp. Better luck next year.

Ditching the scope was always the plan. I figured I should've gotten more then 4 months out of it though. First muzzy has already taught me a bunch. After I pull it out of the garbage I'll put a vortex or Burris on it with another new 209 plug and it'll be the backup or donor gun.

Are you using the O-Ring in the primer pocket and still getting that blowback. These are a fired & unfired primer from my Accura V2 using the O-Ring.

1nzsdUrh.jpg

I've headspaced differently for the cheddite and fed 209a primers. The cheddite gave less blow back so I stuck with those. But I'd only get a couple shots before it started getting bad again. Never was perfect. I started with o-rings which worked good with pellets but was popping the o-rings on the blackhorn plug. Another member suggested i over tightened the plug so i got another one which is this one that literally burned the primer seat out. So it looks to me cause it's pitted. I just can't get it figured out it seems. Which is why I'm done with it. Time for a weapon with a different ignition setup.

Purchase a good scope, rings, and base plus a new breechplug. Properly headspace for the primer that you are using so you get zero blowback using shims, "o"-rings, or adjusting the firing pin bushing. Loctite all scope and base screws. You can also Loctite the base. You should be good to go after doing this.

You never know with scopes. I have a 12 year old 50cal Traditions Pursuit with the original cheap scope that came with the gun. It is held zero perfectly. I had another Savage combo that the scope only lasted 2 range trips.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen cheap scopes last and good ones fail. Why does it seem to always happen at the worst time though lol 😆 oh well just how it goes.

Btw the deercast for my hunting area is good/excellent today like predicted. 🤬

Its hard to determine from a picture but the flame hole, the tiny one, appears too large for starters, but the real issue lies with those three black cuts in the face of the primer pocket. If you have less than 50 shots thru that plug there was something wrong with the plug itself or it got knicked while you were reaming carbon out of it - assuming you do ream it when cleaning. However, I think if you're blowing an o-ring in a couple shots there's problem with the plug.

I may have missed it but what caliber is this gun and what is the charge of Bh209? Weighed or by volume?

If you're looking to part ways with the gun and scope base, pm me your phone number I we can talk about it.

illinoishunter.. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time.. I have used cva's for the last 20 plus years and many konus scope will great success..

I always remove everything and reinstall with locktite on the scope bases and mounts..

On the primers I have used many brands but had best luck with Remington cleanbore muzzleloader 209's and this season tried some federal muzzleloader 209's and great success so far..

I have been on the bench on using Blackhorn and the more I read the less I want to use it.. I have had great success with T7 pellets and loose powder pdex..

Once you regroup post some updates and pictures of the big buck you got coming... With all that hassle you have had I'm sure there's a blessing coming..

God Bless... Jadkins87

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know cva says you should initially tighten the breach plug as tight as you can with a wrench and after only hand tighten. When I went out the first time for our early muzzy season I dropped my Redemption and it landed right on the scope. I had the Omega settup also and of course I forgot to put it in the truck. Hour and a half driving for nothing.

Got a keeper. Was explaining to the wife the problems I was having at deer camp. Which is when I told her about the scope. I just let her know I ordered a scope. She told me.. with a stern look... you better cancel that order right now! You've spent enough on your deer stuff already! Plus.. I ordered it for you yesterday when you said you needed one. 🥰

Back