tortured a few bullets...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see some green skirt material on some of the spent PB's in the original post and FG's pictures. Do the PB's have a problem with losing the skirt in flight?

in the original posters pic, that looks like the Aerotip. In my pic the shooter did recover the gas check stuck to the bullet. Sometimes the lead swells up on them. You wont notice any accuracy issues until you hit the 175+ mark.

I just give them a couple on and off pops and they always come off for me. Then again ever since i got the derned scale, i pull them off and weight the gas check, bullet and my insert and the powder charge :evil: $20 scale costs me a lot of time now.

UtahRob said:
.......................... He could only shoot the spike !!

He is lucky he could 'only shoot the spike'. My son and i hunt for spikes. We eat our venison. There is nothing worse to eat than a 'ordinary' bull. We would rather shoot a spike than a cow, but will take a cow any time a shot presents itself.

The last time i managed to shoot a spike, i came upon three bulls in a park, and had all the time one can imagine to make the shot. I crawled up to a tree; used it for a rest, picked out the smallest spike, and managed to kill it. The branch antlered bull, and the other spike lived to see another day. Since then, i have only managed to kill a cows.

Never killed an elk with a muzzle loader yet; maybe this year. I won't allow myself to use an xtp though, the rifle will be loaded with a nosler. I do plan to use an xtp on deer this next season. Think i will try a gold dot too, and perhaps a Barnes TEZ. I am positive nothing will do better than a nosler, but am trying to have an open closed mind. :wink: Trying new 'good' bullets is part of the fun. Hey, i may even try an FPB.

Back