Crockett rifle going off on halfcock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustardman

Reaction score
Hello everybody, i've had a traditions crockett .32 for about a year now and it had been functioning fine but noticed that as of late i can pull the trigger on halfcock and the hammer will fall. With the lock taken off the rifle it functions as it should yet when on the gun it doesn't. Any ideas

1. Might be that you're cranking down the lock bolt too much. Try backing off a half turn so and see what happens.

2. Make sure all of the lock screws (spring, seer, tumbler, etc.) are tight.

3. Check the wood in the lock mortise to see if you can spy any spots where the lock internals are binding against the mortise.

Have you cleaned up the internals of the lock? Could be a bit of crud stuck in the tumbler.
As mentioned, you can check for binding. Take a magic marker or similar and tab a bit on the tumbler and search arm, if there's any binding, the ink will transfer to the wood as you place the lock into the mortise.

Thanks guys, i'll try it. I take the lock off and clean it about every other time i clean the gun. I have been known to over tighten things haha. I'll play with it this weekend

Back