New Member from Dallas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollan

Reaction score
I have started to look into acquiring a light weight muzzleloader to possibly build as a kit. I am thinking about a .32 caliber. I see the Traditions Crockett rifle kit is available in .32 caliber. (My wife is a distant relative of Davy Crockett. Our grandsons think that is really cool!) So, I am attracted to the Traditions for that reason alone.
If no other option is out there I will probably get the Traditions and take my time putting it together and enjoy the process as I learn about muzzleloading as a newbie.

I wonder if there is a break barrel modern version of muzzleloader in .32 either as a kit or as an assembled rifle? I have been unable to find it so far, if one exists. I would like to start with the easiest to clean, etc., if that is an option; thus my interest in a break barrel.

Can one take an off the shelf break barrel muzzleloader and replace the existing barrel with a .32 barrel?

The reason that I want a .32 is twofold. One is that I like rifles that are shorter and lighter (a newly acquired Henry .22 lever action carbine and an old Stevens .22 falling block single shot are my favorite rifles to shoot.) Two, I like the idea of a .32 using less powder for each shot. I do not know about muzzleloading primer availability (at least primers for re-loading .357 and .38 specials - which I do) have been hard to come by. I typically load my 38/357 rounds with light powder charges and prefer that to heavier charges. I find that the heavier charges, for especially the .357 magnum are, for me, a lot less fun to shoot.

Welcome from Illinois... I'm a newbie to muzzleloader as well. But that caliber is going to be very unique. My opinion would be to look into a modern inline designed for hunting so it'll have a shorter barrel then just run small powder charges and light bullets. Light recoil, easy to clean and off the shelf parts.

Welcome to the brotherhood

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma.
That Crockett rifle is a neat little gun. I sold mine to a while back to finance a 45 caliber rifle.
The 32 is a nice small caliber that you don't have to burn much powder with. 10-20 grains by volume and a .310 ball, very accurate out to 50 yards or so, give or take.
Definitely not a short barreled gun. I think the barrel is 28 or 32 inches, can't remember which.
There are a few older inlines that were made in 32 caliber. They are no longer available as new but do come up for sale from time to time on this site and elsewhere.
The only production guns today are sidelocks. Traditions and Pedersoli are about it for choices. Custom and semicustom guns are available from different makers out there. Kiblers are very nice.

I can't think of a better, more accurate and versatile small game rifle than the Traditions Crockett. I killed lots of squirrels with that little rifle. I would expect sub 1" groups at 40 yards if the shooter is up to it. It's light, handy, accurate (with black powder at least) I recommend the Crockett and I for one love 'em. And welcome from New England.

Welcome, from North Carolina! The Crockett barrel is 32” with a 1:48” twist. I don’t think you will find it that much more difficult to clean than any other sidelock. #11 percussion caps or musket caps (you can switch out the nipple) can be hit or miss on availability, just like powder and other supplies. Graf & Sons has a no hazmat fee sale going on right now, and had percussion caps and musket caps in stock, as of yesterday. Good luck!

Back