Testing OLD Pyrodex RS VS New day Pyrodex RS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I finally was able to get out and shoot the super old can of Pyrodex RS VS a fresh can of Pyrodex RS. I started with accuracy test first since that's a lot more fun than shooting over the Chrony.
IMG_7975.jpg

70gr Volume
.020" patches
.490" round balls
Buckskinners patch lube
50 yard distance.

6 O'clock hole is 3 shots with the NEW can of RS and the 12 O'clock group is with the old RS. I used 2 different aiming points to prevent the shots from running together.
IMG_7973.jpg

The new can shot quite a bit tighter, but I think that's due to be being able to get a precise POI on the bulls eye where as with the 12 o'clock hold, My bulls eye was covered up. Both shot flawless, but I did notice a big difference when seating the ball.

The old RS is super strong and will not compress. The new RS seems crumbly and easily compresses. I will be taking a picture of both pictures side by side. The old stuff seems like it was a coating on it.

Ran some loads over the chrony this afternoon with 160gr thor sabots, both hollow point and ballistic tip.

Avg velocity ( 4 shots each )
NEW RS:
1827 (Hollow Point)
1832 ( Ballistic Point)

OLD RS:
1717 (Ballistic Point)
1644 (Hollow Point)

Good testing right there. I have a few of those old cans of pyrodex, but haven't shot it yet. Accuracy and velocity seems fine. Was is as quick to ignite like the new stuff?

The formula for Pyrodex has changed since it was patented in the mid 1970s:  The new stuff is more powerful.   The percentage of potassium nitrate was lowered and  the quantity of potassium perchlorate was increased, probably along with the sodium benzoate.   i'm not exactly sure when the changes were made.   

With the exception of BH 209; all the BP substitutes contain potassium perchlorate.  Without potassium perchlorate the BP substitutes would be weak indeed. 

BTW:  Black Mag 3 and Black Mag XR contained huge quantities of potassium perchlorate.   That is probably why the manufacturing plants kept blowing up.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will answer some questions that some of the members may have concerning old PYODEX RS powder.

Ray.............

I used to shoot Pyrodex back when I started ML'ing in the '80's. Used it up to 1995. One thing I remember was all the gun magazines used to sing the praises of Pyrodex over black powder. Five years after I switched powders I decided to shoot up my remaining two opened cans of Pyrodex, one can RS and one P grade. The P grade sounded funny, with a weak report and lack of recoil. Shooting through the chrony it was 400 fps slower than it should have registered. The RS shot normal. The powder was stored in my reloading room (a spare bedroom) with all my smokeless powder in the same cabinet.

Latest posts

Back