new rifles makin smoke

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
Got up to @Ninering62 place and had an enjoyable tim shooting a couple percussion rifles I got via a very generous deal from another member here. Wont out him or give gory details but lets just say it was a once in a lifetime offer and I am deeply appreciative of it

Started with a TC New Englander that has been relined to a fast twist 45 by Bob Hoyt. Bore is a hair tight so we sized some lead down to 4495 to make it work. Due to my eyes, the irons and needing a good cleaning after 12 rounds to real groups or load development though my shoulder is proclaiming a strong preference for 55gr charges vs 75gr charges. Sights are off by a good bit too

After too many no-bangs and being short on time I switched over to the TC White Mountain Carbine in .50. Shot some lighter 45 slugs in sabots and was able to get sights somewhat adjusted, but ran out of time. Certainly shows a lot of promise but again just getting started with them

Got up to @Ninering62 place and had an enjoyable tim shooting a couple percussion rifles I got via a very generous deal from another member here. Wont out him or give gory details but lets just say it was a once in a lifetime offer and I am deeply appreciative of it

Started with a TC New Englander that has been relined to a fast twist 45 by Bob Hoyt. Bore is a hair tight so we sized some lead down to 4495 to make it work. Due to my eyes, the irons and needing a good cleaning after 12 rounds to real groups or load development though my shoulder is proclaiming a strong preference for 55gr charges vs 75gr charges. Sights are off by a good bit too

After too many no-bangs and being short on time I switched over to the TC White Mountain Carbine in .50. Shot some lighter 45 slugs in sabots and was able to get sights somewhat adjusted, but ran out of time. Certainly shows a lot of promise but again just getting started with them
That was awesome to be able to do with you bro. There are tons of variety & potential in both guns. Lots to play with. I’m looking forward to more of that too.

Last edited:
Is your Carbine the fast twist barrel?
Reason I'm asking is I recently bought one with the 1-22 twist and was thinking about trying some bullets with sabots, can I ask what showed the most promise?

No the WMC has a 1/38 twist based on watching a ramrod spin

Im hoping to get 0.429" bullets in sabotts running well so I can use same bullets in my 44 carbine ...

Correction, just read it's most likely 1-20 twist early 4 digit number.
Nice! I just parted with a 50cal TC White Mountain Carbine with a 1:20 twist. It was in like new condition, great little guns, I'll miss it and have to pick up another one day.

Bills got in the way :wall:

Latest posts

Back