t/c new englander .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
i went to camp to put in a days work on it and nothing says break time like a little smoke so i took the new englander.i bought this gun for cheap awhile back because the stock had two large cracks in it.the rest of the gun was in very nice condition and came with an ironsighter one piece see thru scope base.after fixing the stock and putting it back together i mounted a used leupold 2.5 compact on it.i've only shot this gun one other time,useing 80g vol.t7-fff .015 patch bore butter lube .490 rb and remington caps and got a lackluster 3" group @50yds.same load but with a 245g buffalo ball-et was a little larger,i'm not impressed.this time out i tried something new for me,sabots in a 1/48" twist.new load was 80g vol. goex 2f under a 250g .452 xtp in a harvester crushrib lit off with remington#11 caps.target lasered in at 55yds.4 shots hovered in a very nice 1"group.i would have shot more but i was there to work and you know what that 5th shot would have done(screwdagroup,right semi :) ).....karl

i would have shot more but i was there to work and you know what that 5th shot would have done

You're a wise man Karl, avoiding needless heartbreak.

I had a New Englander that did surprisingly well with sabot loads also. But it was a real humdinger with 410 grain Great Plains conicals, which Hornady has unfortunately discontinued.

New Englanders are great rifles. I will have to pull on of my three out one of these days..

Latest posts

Back