T/C Hawken GMB Flintlock and the cayuga challenge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
as i really want to use this flinter to hunt deer this year and this is only the 4th time i've ever shot a flint lock i knew i needed more range time. i paced off 26 steps(forgot rangefinder)and set up cardboard with a 3/4" black dot,loaded 80g goex 2f in barrel 4f in pan a precut t/c pillow tick patch lubed with lehigh valley patch lube and a speer.495 RB.using a 6 o'clock hold off the bench i hit the bull twice and missed once by 1/2".ignition seemed slower than last time out but i could'nt complain about the grouping.next up i taped up a 3x5 card and put another dot in the center of that.offhand the first shot is right of the bull 2 1/2" 2nd is 5" left and low with a noticably slow ignition.this is when i notice the flint is loose and cocked out of square to the frizzen so i pick out my best looking tom fuller flint and back in the game.i shot 7 more times hitting the card 4 times(barely).next up was target at 55yds. using 2" square bull,i upped the charge to 90 grains and took 5 shots off the bench.hit the bull 1st shot,flinched bad on the 2nd shooting 5"to right(screwdagroup,right semi :wink: ) but put the next 3 near the first with a nice 2"group.one thing i learned today was that without some kind of rest my shooting will very limited.i have read alot of post's of people who say their flinter fires as fast as their cap locks,out of the apx.50 rounds i've fired out of this gun none have been that fast.suggestions would be apprieciated.......karl

To speed up the lock time, sometimes you need a new lock. BUT in the mean time try this...

push a fuzzy pipe cleaner into the vent hole. Close the frizzen on it to hold it. Then load your barrel. Now slowly.. pull that pipe cleaner out. This will pull powder up behind the vent hole. Load your pan powder to the outside of the pan so it throws long sparks. Normally that will speed it up.

Also I put RMC vent liners in my rifles. They have a little bigger opening then the factory and seem to just draw sparks, but I cannot swear to that. Keep the flint real sharp and the fizzen hard and I am sure it will be faster.

Nice shooting.

Also I put RMC vent liners in my rifles. They have a little bigger opening then the factory and seem to just draw sparks, but I cannot swear to that.

I totally agree with that. If you don't have an RMC liner installed that's the first thing you should do.

Latest posts

Back