Smokeless WHY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that cold here in Southwest Arkansas this morning I've been stuck in the house for a couple of days I have so much shooting I need to do it's not going to thaw out until Thursday

Some (truths are self evident ) anyone wanting to stay in the woods more than just a short rifle season want one even if it costs more !! It enables me to hunt more days and that's a (great thing) as you get older you just wish you started sooner . Sleeping in has never been an option for me ./Ed
It is the tension and often the spirit of our expression verbally in this Arena of tradition versus modern that bothers me so much if I put myself in the place of a strict traditional shooter I can understand feeling like it's just not fair for the other modern muzzleloaders to have a part of my hunting season if I'm in a state that allows that,, it just seems like we spend so much time slamming the opposite opinion and views and some of us do it in nice ways but it's still being critical on both sides I think that spirit in that attitude turns a lot of people away and I know others it just fires up to make the argument,,,I can big guilty real quick if I'm not careful of assuming the same critical spirit towards those that don't see things the way I do as a man getting up there in years I value the difference in opinion and approach I rarely value how we apply it verbally
Well stated

Why would you take a perfectly good 45/70 govt. cartridge gun, spend $500 or more machining it/ converting it to use the same smokeless powders and size bullets to be loaded from the muzzle.
Patched to answer this question is easy. First let me say that I've hunted with a .45-70 for years. It's my all time favorite nostalgic cartridge. I can shoot it with smokeless or black powder. But it has its limitations. Now to answer your question; a .45-70 and a converted SML from 45-70 do not shoot the same size bullet. The 45-70 shoots a .458" bullet while the SML shoots a .451" bullet. Because it uses a smaller diameter bullet you can shoot a SML with slightly more powder at a much greater velocity with less pressure, hence safer. Its like a 45-70 on steroids or a 458 WM that shoots MOA or better.
I was on the fence with shooting smokeless but pulled the trigger. I did it because I enjoy trying new things and smokeless muzzleloading is new and fun. I still hunt with my patch and ball .58 too. Shoot/hunt with whatever you want and don't be afraid to try something different.

Mr. Monkey…let me explain “ the traditional rifle sentiment“ perhaps in a way that you can understand.
By virtue of the fact that “traditional rifles“( by their very nature) use low energy powder to propel the lowest ballistically efficient projectile any gun can shoot with any predictable repeatable accuracy….Hence, ( pay attention to this part)…short range shots on unspooked animals is how this game is played….having a designated season, (similar to archery season) might allow the “traditional rifle“ hunter to play the game in a similar fashion as an archer would, on “traditional rifle” terms...hence the intended creation of a designated ML season.

In-lines and smokeless muzzleloaders “equipment race” weaseled their way into a hunting opportunity not intended for them…period…believe me…I’ve totally exploited this myself…but I’m old enough to have started out patching my balls when we first got our designated season.
“ equipment race/ weaseled their way in…. Reeeeeally.
It’s an evolutionary progression in things, exactly like what percussion & flintlocks were in their inception in their time. Did they “ weasel their way “ into the muzzleloading world of that era???

It’s an evolutionary progression in things, exactly like what percussion & flintlocks were in their inception in their time. Did they “ weasel their way “ into the muzzleloading world of that era???
The natural progression/evolution of tech can be seen in all things (archery, muzzleloading, rifles, scopes/optics, etc).

I sure agree with that my smokeless rifle is a great great grandson of that old side lock 69 Cal and ball it would not be here without the earlier rifles tradition and modern need each other I think otherwise the tension hurts both

Loading modern bullets and high pressure powders from the muzzle igniting with lg rifle primers, under parallax corrected optics is very much akin to horses pulling your Porche….skip the horses, just drive the Porche if you wanna go fast.

Eliminating the case is weaseling in …evolutionary progression back then was trying to figure out how to make a cartridge case that worked…eliminating it today is weaseling in…

Loading modern bullets and high pressure powders from the muzzle igniting with lg rifle primers, under parallax corrected optics is very much akin to horses pulling your Porche….skip the horses, just drive the Porche if you wanna go fast.

Eliminating the case is weaseling in …evolutionary progression back then was trying to figure out how to make a cartridge case that worked…eliminating it today is weaseling in…
You certainly are entitled to your opinion. But I do not like it one bit or agree with it in the least. But thanks for a civil interaction. Agree to disagree on this one.

Whether you like it or not, thankfully you can’t interfere with my freedom to use whatever muzzleloader, optics, powder, projectiles that I damn well please. You do you, I’m perfectly cool with what that is, but trying to interfere or take away my freedom, to do things the way I want to, then we’re gonna have a big problem.

You're not going to win here, so you may as well just accept what is as what is. Nobody here is trying to stop you from doing what you do. Nobody on this site sets seasons for the different states so if you're unhappy with a season that pertains to where and how you hunt, address the state. Arguing here is not going to get you anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back