Smokeless WHY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could find one of those old Remington Centerfire pistols I forget what they were called and I think more recently Savage had a Centerfire pistol too either one of those should be easy to put a 45 Cal Barrel on but the bridge plug and run modules in it
The XP-100. That would make an amazing sml pistol. Very much like the Knight or White pistols. I love that forward grip. It makes for a much better balance.
Or the Savage 510/516

I remember Savage had one too seem like it was called a striker but I might be wrong those are around still you can find them if you shop for them that would make an excellent smokeless Muzzleloader and again you could shoot any powder ,smokeless ,Triple 7 Blackhorn ,black powder ,wouldn't matter as long as you had a good smokeless rated Barrel.

I just noticed, the XP
I remember Savage had one too seem like it was called a striker but I might be wrong those are around still you can find them if you shop for them that would make an excellent smokeless Muzzleloader and again you could shoot any powder ,smokeless ,Triple 7 Blackhorn ,black powder ,wouldn't matter as long as you had a good smokeless rated Barrel.
I think the Striker was a model 510. I noticed that the Savages all seemed to have a LH action, while the Rems used their RH action. Pretty smart on Savages part imho.

In those states where the traditional Shooters Are Ringing their hands because they're quote season isn't traditionally ruled enough to their liking why don't they just remember they have the freedom to hunt as traditional as they want to no one is stopping them all of the rifle season they can carry their traditional rifle sometimes I just don't understand the traditional rifle sentiment, why don't we just go back to Spears and rocks let's make it as primitive as we can.
Mr. Monkey…let me explain “ the traditional rifle sentiment“ perhaps in a way that you can understand.
By virtue of the fact that “traditional rifles“( by their very nature) use low energy powder to propel the lowest ballistically efficient projectile any gun can shoot with any predictable repeatable accuracy….Hence, ( pay attention to this part)…short range shots on unspooked animals is how this game is played….having a designated season, (similar to archery season) might allow the “traditional rifle“ hunter to play the game in a similar fashion as an archer would, on “traditional rifle” terms...hence the intended creation of a designated ML season.

In-lines and smokeless muzzleloaders “equipment race” weaseled their way into a hunting opportunity not intended for them…period…believe me…I’ve totally exploited this myself…but I’m old enough to have started out patching my balls when we first got our designated season.

The thread title is about why we would shoot smokeless not about traditional versus modern rifle seasons but I still appreciate your comments and your views whether I agree with them or not it just seems like that tension between traditional and modern flares itself up so often this I know that we live in a Time with each new generation there are fewer and fewer Hunters I'm more concerned about that than I am keeping the defined lines between what a Muzzleloader season should be I'm in the camp of all the opportunities that we can pull together to get people out in the field in woods to hunt again I respect your views and I really feel like I understand them I'm just not in a struggle to protect a traditional hunting season I try to introduce a lot of people to muzzleloading that I'm around and yes smokeless and modern not traditional it's hard enough to get new Shooters into that I'm going to be straight up I can't find any young Hunter around me that's interested in a side lock or any type of traditional gun here in Southwest Arkansas those are just wall hangers I am running into a lot of young men that when they find out I have a Muzzleloader that can put bullets on my palm at 500 yards they're very interested and yes I understand traditional muzzleloading is about getting close to animals I'm a devout bowhunter and I have been my whole life so back to the topic hopefully

Man............. stop with the BS of traditional vs modern or SML. That's all old ship that's been beat to death.

Like MtMonkey said, if you want to dress up as something you're not, nor will ever be, and shoot a traditional rifle while hunting, HAVE AT IT! No one is stopping you.
Play dress up like these folks are doing, pretending to be something they're not.

If you want to play "traditional" go to the traditional forum. Otherwise, let the original question be answered. :wall:

Man............. stop with the BS of traditional vs modern or SML. That's all old ship that's been beat to death.

Like MtMonkey said, if you want to dress up as something you're not, nor will ever be, and shoot a traditional rifle while hunting, HAVE AT IT! No one is stopping you.
Play dress up like these folks are doing, pretending to be something they're not.

If you want to play "traditional" go to the traditional forum. Otherwise, let the original question be answered. :wall:
Well…I’m not gonna defend any of those “buckskinsters” cuz I never could endorse grown men playing “dress up”….but I am gonna stick up for traditional muzzleloaders…but
Why would you take a perfectly good 45/70 govt. cartridge gun, spend $500 or more machining it/ converting it to use the same smokeless powders and size bullets to be loaded from the muzzle?

(now comes the part as to why we’re talking about hunting vs traditional ML hunting)

Converting the weapon is done to have all the amenities of a modern firearm but technically qualify oneself to hunt during the traditional black powder muzzleloader‘s designated season….I ok with that ….Im guilty of it myself …but when I do it I consider it weaseling in on the trad guys territory…
So now I’ll go pound sand up my bum …cuz this thread isn’t about hunting

I believe there is a distinct difference between a Muzzleloader hunting season and a “Traditional” Muzzleloader season. You can’t really weasel into a Traditional ML season with a modern inline or SML.
Varies state to state…Nevada deer/elk/antelope/sheep tag system is a draw system with very limited muzzleloader tags…no one I know ever gets a tag every year…it’s gone from every 2 years to 3 and 4 years between tags of any kind…most western states do tags by draws...dwindling tag chances incentivizes hunters to get a muzzleloader

The OP is asking WHY go smokeless…. as much as some guys don’t like it, part of the answer has to do with hunting and expanding someone’s chance of getting a tag for a given year.

Varies state to state…Nevada deer/elk/antelope/sheep tag system is a draw system with very limited muzzleloader tags…no one I know ever gets a tag every year…it’s gone from every 2 years to 3 and 4 years between tags of any kind…most western states do tags by draws...dwindling tag chances incentivizes hunters to get a muzzleloader

The OP is asking WHY go smokeless…. as much as some guys don’t like it, part of the answer has to do with hunting and expanding someone’s chance of getting a tag for a given year.
Some (truths are self evident ) anyone wanting to stay in the woods more than just a short rifle season want one even if it costs more !! It enables me to hunt more days and that's a (great thing) as you get older you just wish you started sooner . Sleeping in has never been an option for me ./Ed

It is the tension and often the spirit of our expression verbally in this Arena of tradition versus modern that bothers me so much if I put myself in the place of a strict traditional shooter I can understand feeling like it's just not fair for the other modern muzzleloaders to have a part of my hunting season if I'm in a state that allows that,, it just seems like we spend so much time slamming the opposite opinion and views and some of us do it in nice ways but it's still being critical on both sides I think that spirit in that attitude turns a lot of people away and I know others it just fires up to make the argument,,,I can big guilty real quick if I'm not careful of assuming the same critical spirit towards those that don't see things the way I do as a man getting up there in years I value the difference in opinion and approach I rarely value how we apply it verbally

It is the tension and often the spirit of our expression verbally in this Arena of tradition versus modern that bothers me so much if I put myself in the place of a strict traditional shooter I can understand feeling like it's just not fair for the other modern muzzleloaders to have a part of my hunting season if I'm in a state that allows that,, it just seems like we spend so much time slamming the opposite opinion and views and some of us do it in nice ways but it's still being critical on both sides I think that spirit in that attitude turns a lot of people away and I know others it just fires up to make the argument,,,I can big guilty real quick if I'm not careful of assuming the same critical spirit towards those that don't see things the way I do as a man getting up there in years I value the difference in opinion and approach I rarely value how we apply it verbally
Not much tension here, still got more wood in and definitely don't remember hands this cold @9 degrees . Guess memory loss could be a good thing . Another load and off to the condo to borrow one of my Buddy heaters as I suspect I'm gonna need one at the short range (shortly) /Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back