Smokeless WHY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GUN NUT

Reaction score
I don't understand why a smokeless m/z build takes a $500 gun and makes it worth $3000 to $5000 .I can buy a lot of cleaning supplies for the difference. If just cleanup is the reason but maybe it is the increase in range but some people shooting Black can and do seem to shoot long distance .Guess I just don't get it . I am not wanting to argue just me I guess

Cleeeeaaan!!
And a broader powder availability. Plus, everybody has a blackpowder muzzleloader of some sort or another today. Smokeless requires more involvement than black or subs and I guess I find that appealing: the additional challenge that smokeless brings with it. It's not a cheap sport so if you need to pinch pennies, its maybe not right for you at this time. But not having to worry about the extra time to clean after a day at the range is certainly one of the big factors that make smokeless so nice.

I dont think its any easier to clean up a sml. Its, imho, like having a rare breed cat.(not dog or horse). Many folks already dont understand having a cat(ML). So getting a rare breed of cat(Smokeless ML) say its a Savannah(Rem700) or an Ocelot(Savage 10ML) is just a way of having a cooler cat then 98% but not really being any better/different at the same time. It takes more money, has a special diet, doesn't act like a normal cat, could kill you if you aren't careful, but in the end it is still just a cat(ML). But as everyone knows all cats(MLs) are very cool regardless.
Having a smokeless cat, i mean ML, just puts you in a tiny, exclusive group of nutjobs.
Anyway, thats why I have a cat/ML. That and my wife won’t let me have a fainting pygmy goat or a Savannah cat, so i got a SML.

I was wondering the same thing. I did a similar thread. Look for it.
"Why"
Thx I just went back and reviewed your thread and it was interesting . I really can't see why some are trying to sale them for so much . I understand the reasons of some .I actually have a smokeless m/l so it is not that I am against them its just some of the prices because I can not see how one could be worth the price some are trying to sell them for. And the main reason I like mine is like others I like to have something different and the cleanup.

I suspect that the high price is to discourage the morons from buying them. There have been numerous stories out there about guys loading smokeless like it is black powder and having it blowing up in their face. Got a short time several gun companies made sma at lower prices but they quickly quit doing so.

I like cats and I like dogs.
I had a friend with a horse and told him to me it was just a reserve of meat if things get bad.
I think they are like a boat. Put lots of money in. The horse that is.

I remember reading that the ancient Aztecs, when they organized trading caravans, that they would take along a bunch of chihuahuas to serve as alarms on the trail. Plus if need be they could eat them if the trip went bad.

If you highly value extreme accuracy then smokeless his hands down the choice ,not minute of deer ,not this will be okay for hunting ,but if you enjoy extreme accuracy. As to the cost of many of those smokeless guns that is insane I think smokeless rifles can be built for a whole lot less than what most people realize but at the same time those that can afford to pay that price for a gun I'm all for that ,,I sure can't. Smokeless gun requires me to pour powder in it and stuff a bullet down it the same way that anyone's traditional gun would,, I have priced having a traditional custom gun made from several people a few years ago it was around half of the price of a smokeless muzzleloader with two completely different weapon systems to me I could understand if one's muzzle loading experience was traditional guns not seeing a need for smokeless however again if one approaches their shooting seeking ultimate efficiency in accuracy day in and day out I just do not see how you beat a smokeless rifle I will say this those of us who enjoy rifles and shooting and have a background shooting center fire or bench rest will love smokeless muzzloading in this one other glaring aspect all the smokeless guns made today will shoot Black Horn in the other subpowders so much more efficiently than any side lock or traditional gun would in today's time of lack of supplies having a gun that you can do so much with is important. To me the smokeless rifle is the ultimate in line muzzleloader that can do everything your basic in line cannot and certainly a traditional gun cannot,,, I really believe that a lot of shooters that consider smokeless but haven't shot it or experienced it really have no idea of what it can do and I believe this once you experience that you will gravitate to it I have smokeless rifles that literally will put every bullet I put into it in a quarter inch or less if any of you have a traditional gun it will do that with five or six different bullets you can tell me about that I think those who don't appreciate smokeless or like it are those who have not experienced it.

I'd say number one is if you like real high performance, you shoot smokeless. No cleaning also shines in my eyes, with a nitrided barrel. When you shoot, you don't have a cloud obstructing the view. Quicker kills because of the higher velocities. Rather than "Why" I'd say "Why not" if it's legal. Obviously you need the appropriate rifle to handle the pressures.

I have a smokeless rifle but shoot my regular old muzzle loaders with black powder 10 to 1 over the smokeless because I enjoy the smoke and do not feel like I am handy capped in any way when I hunt.

Its one of those things, if you can afford a Porche go for it. The plus factors is it seldom needs cleaning. I see some of the people who build them n hunt, reach out 1/4-1/2 mile n snot clobber those tick toters. I am on the frugal side, so under a $800 limit is my goal. Also 200 yards would be my max for target shooting.

Its one of those things, if you can afford a Porche go for it. The plus factors is it seldom needs cleaning. I see some of the people who build them n hunt, reach out 1/4-1/2 mile n snot clobber those tick toters. I am on the frugal side, so under a $800 limit is my goal. Also 200 yards would be my max for target shooting.
I am frugal/cheap myself

Why are they more expensive?

Because smokeless muzzleloading is likely too dangerous for the general public who would use the wrong powder and too much of it. Therefore there are no mass produced guns.

Heck I was essentially chuckled at by someone who was going way over max load with BH209 here on this site.

So that means these are all custom one off guns for super nerds who are obsessed with with getting as technical as possible and want the best of everything.

To me the smokeless rifle is the ultimate in line muzzleloader that can do everything your basic in line cannot and certainly a traditional gun cannot,,,
Amen!

Cleaner
No smoke
Cheaper powder
Higher velocity/performance
More versatile (can shoot anything from black to subs to smokeless)
Less corrosive
Did I mention cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back