Shot my 45-70 Finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a CVA Scout 45-70, ss with fluted barrel and muzzle brake last year. I wanted one for a while. I always heard how good a gun they were for the money. I was finally able to find some ammo. Hornady 325 Gr FTX. I put an old Leupold 3-9x40 on it.
Today I finally got to shoot it. I was totally impressed. Once dialed in I was getting 1" groups at 100yds. I think this gun might end up being worthy of a newer more powerful scope in the future. I loved the way it shot and felt. Just a simple little, cheap gun built like a brick chit house that shoots lights out right out of the box.
The wife and I are heading down to South Carolina next Wednesday to visit some of her family and see her niece's new baby. I got the invite while we are down there to do some Hawg Huntin'. I am super excited. I have never hog hunted before. The new 45-70 will be making the trip as well.
I can't wait.;)

I hunted hogs once in SC, it was a good time. We did an archery hunt, so there a lot of of range that could’ve been taken with a gun. I did end up getting one eventually. Great time! Good luck on your hunt!

When the kid made off with my 45/70 Marlin I suggested Remington ammo. Kids often do not pay attention, and the first box of Hornady made my point. The Remington 405 grain soft point at about 1300 fps has a darn sight less recoil than the Hornady stuff. In fact it is rather pleasant to shoot, and if shooting distance is under 100 yards you need not worry about trajectory.
The Remington ammo approximates the original weight and velocity of 45/70 ammo. You may not be able to get it now. If not the Speer 400 grain can be loaded to approximate the Remington.
If you are interested in shooting lead, find copies of Paul Mathews' books "Forty Years With the 45/70" and "The Paper Patched Bullet."
Thanks for telling us about the Scout. The only 45/70 I have left is a Hepburn. It has seen some use, but the bore is excellent.

One of the few critters I wanted, and have not gotten, is a hog. Don't ask me why I want to, but I do. So, color me jealous.

Make a nice little smokeless muzzleloader...just sayin....lol
Yes it does. That’s how I found out about how accurate this gun was to begin with. The guys over on Hank’s talking about how accurate and how good a smokeless gun it made. I would have one converted if I didn’t already have a smokeless Encore.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 433BE214-4B6B-487B-A979-99FEFDBEC521.jpeg
    433BE214-4B6B-487B-A979-99FEFDBEC521.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 39
  • F0B4877D-571F-45DC-BED8-AC8ADD7AC26D.jpeg
    F0B4877D-571F-45DC-BED8-AC8ADD7AC26D.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 40
  • AC6F8E4A-E230-4476-AD01-2A377F98CA01.jpeg
    AC6F8E4A-E230-4476-AD01-2A377F98CA01.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 799F82A8-3E6C-47EC-994A-C3B724CCBD33.jpeg
    799F82A8-3E6C-47EC-994A-C3B724CCBD33.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 37
Nice group! I use those Remington 405 gr. bullets in my muzzleloader with 115 gr of 777. They usually drop cow elk in their tracks. A flat nose bullets wallops game.

I shot the blued model I think it had a little bit longer barrel no muzzle brake,, ended up selling it it was kind of a who could take the most recoil challenge rifle for a while,, one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever shot, every factory load I tried and it was right at a half inch or less most of the times a quarter inch if the shooter could hold still and take the recoil,, read and looked at a lot of other posts and other sites about cvas 45-70 rifles I don't think I've ever seen one that shot bad. For the money I don't think you can beat it sure makes sense why hankins and others use these rifles as smokeless builds. Good shooting by the way!

I have not seen a conversion to sml. I presume a breech plug is threaded into the chamber, and that the breech plug in some manner uses a large rifle primer.
Does anyone make a conversion to work with percussion caps? This would require modification to the firing pin and receiver.

Latest posts

Back