Woodman Brux .45 Omega Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
Finally got the new Brux barrel for my Omega build. Mark Woodman did a fantastic job as expected. I put it in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint, bedded the recoil lugs, free-floated the barrel (ahead of the forward lug), bedded the rail and slapped an SWFA SS 16x scope on it. I also installed a second steel recoil bar horizontally through the stock immediately behind the rear lug for added strength. (I’ll make a separate post about this but it seems that the stock is weak in that area.)

26” Brux .45 barrel 1:20 twist nitrided
1.1” shank -.890” at muzzle
Woodman adjustable 209 plug (.035” stainless bushing)
Woodman picatinny rail
MZ Rex brake
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock w adj comb
Trigger 1.75 lb
Nitrided swing breech/trigger guard
SWFA SS 16x42
Spartan bipod

11BD845F-8692-4952-A9B3-EE349AE7A408.jpeg

F7991B00-B2D3-4FFA-8F30-04CE91B40714.jpeg
EEE26B7A-E4F0-4ADA-B33D-82F522EA4B8D.jpeg

I shot some H4198 and N120 with smooth-sized Fury 250, 275, 300 and 325 gr bullets. The first two rounds out of the rifle (250 Fury/51 gr H4198) went into the same hole at 25 yards as I was checking the bore sighting/scope, so I was optimistic right off the bat.

The wind, however, was terrible today at 15-25 mph, so none of the groups at 50 yards were anything to write home about. Best was a three shot group with Fury 300 gr and 52.8 gr of H4198 at about .43” with a couple other combos in the .5” range. I had fun learning the rifle and sizing bullets.

8738ADFE-3317-4C09-85C8-19A90A5D6C39.jpeg

FF1FC258-5EDC-4987-B22C-E1316DC71D3C.jpeg

Can’t wait to do some more shooting today or tomorrow when the wind calms down.

I fired about 25 shots then cleaned the bore and plug. Here’s a pick of the plug and you can see the carbon build-up (plug) on the back side of the bushing. This is typical in these plugs, IME.

F9E3BA25-9FEB-4026-B2E8-90589D2309E3.jpeg

lovely gun and nice group so far .
can you explain the carbon build shooting smokless a bit more please ? i thought that mostly went away using smokeless because even cleaning after shooting a few dozen times didn't allow it to build up like black and subs will . are those round black pieces big chunks of carbon build up ?

i can make a seperate thread about this if you prefer it not sway your topic too much or too long .]thanks , jeff

Also Curious about the Woodman Breech Plug. It has a Standard 1/4” x 1/4” .030” Orifice Bushing & an additional Venturi Orifice Sleeve / Bushing?

lovely gun and nice group so far .
can you explain the carbon build shooting smokless a bit more please ? i thought that mostly went away using smokeless because even cleaning after shooting a few dozen times didn't allow it to build up like black and subs will . are those round black pieces big chunks of carbon build up ?

i can make a seperate thread about this if you prefer it not sway your topic too much or too long .]thanks , jeff
This was an interesting discovery for me the first time I cleaned on of these plugs. The little cylinder of carbon buildup on the primer side of the bushing is from the primer. I don’t notice much difference between different 209s or the LRMP adapters. All seem to deposit carbon along the flash channel and on the back of the bushing. I believe the pressure seems to keep the channel open and it deposits as a cylinder, if that makes sense. I remove the retaining ring, push the bushing and carbon out and then ream the flash channel with a drill bit when cleaning. As I said above, that’s about 25 shots worth of carbon build up. This pic shows it a little more clearly.

EAA15128-5FBB-4412-9962-1F5D2D6A00B4.jpeg
5969B2D2-32CB-473E-AC14-C6FE13B1F35E.jpeg
Illustration of where the carbon (in red) deposits.

That caught my eye right off. Would like to know the story behind it?
To my knowledge there are two variations (maybe more?) of the Omega trigger guard design - one with a cast lug and one with a set screw for adjusting lock-up against a pin in the swinging breech.

6637C9EE-1E8D-46B3-B47F-58EF7D88FDF5.jpeg

196AF6FB-C212-4CE8-9599-A122D1784412.jpeg

In this case, I misplaced the headless set screw and so I replaced it temporarily with a 10-32 (stock) screw. Without the screw, the trigger guard position when closed does not allow the trigger to be cocked.

thanks ElD' . im getting the standard BP with my patriot (hopefully just 2-3 more months) . i'll order one of Marks adjustable in jan. or feb. . i've got a few packs of federal 209s primers that i hope will be adequate for mild loads of n120 or 4198 .

ElDiablo, after revisiting your plug tear down I was gonna ask if that was the stainless bushing but I see in your other post you said it’s stainless. When I tore mine down I noticed the same thing but minimal amount of carbon build up. I’m kinda curious as to how the stainless bushing will hold up compared to the carbide bushing. Any thoughts ?

ElDiablo, after revisiting your plug tear down I was gonna ask if that was the stainless bushing but I see in your other post you said it’s stainless. When I tore mine down I noticed the same thing but minimal amount of carbon build up. I’m kinda curious as to how the stainless bushing will hold up compared to the carbide bushing. Any thoughts ?
Well, this discussion may deserve its own thread. I’ve use both the stainless and the carbide bushings. I get the same carbon build up on the back of either bushing. It may vary slightly with primer type. Haven’t tested it extensively, but it also may vary a little between the .040 and the .035”. The carbide does seem to hold up better (resists erosion), as expected. I did have one carbide bushing that broke apart when I was removing it. Could have been me being rough and/or a flaw in the bushing. Now I soak before tapping out with a punch.

28338562-70EA-428B-95B4-48CB8F4CCD8C.jpeg
So, I started using the .035” stainless bushings to try them. After about 40-50 shots (second cleaning) I noticed what appears to be a little gas cutting on the powder-side of this bushing. Which I brought to Marks attention and he quickly sent me a couple more bushings. We are not sure of the cause. Perhaps I installed the lock screw backwards. I’m currently watching it to see what happens after a few more shots. I’m careful to reinstall the lock screw flat/wide side against the bushing now. I’m seeing some flash hole erosion on the primer side of the bushing after 40 shots. You can run through a lot of stainless bushings for the price of one carbide.

744AE6C3-8288-44B8-BA8D-F1BDC51CDD6C.png

8BA4225E-8BBB-478A-9B3A-DF401A1BE107.jpeg

Thanks, sheds some light as to what I’m thinking. I only had a dozen shots on mine and I’m probably gonna swap bushings to carbide. I have a few extras here and I imagine they are the same dimension. I know the flash hole is. I’ve pretty much presoaked plugs before disassembling.

Perhaps I installed the lock screw backwards. I’m currently watching it to see what happens after a few more shots. I’m careful to reinstall the lock screw flat/wide side against the bushing now. I’m seeing some flash hole erosion on the primer side of the bushing after 40 shots.

View attachment 34378

View attachment 34379
Good Info. I've wondered about those Bushing Set Screws. I'm going to check mine, I bet half of them are Upsidedown. 😞

Finally got the new Brux barrel for my Omega build. Mark Woodman did a fantastic job as expected. I put it in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint, bedded the recoil lugs, free-floated the barrel (ahead of the forward lug), bedded the rail and slapped an SWFA SS 16x scope on it. I also installed a second steel recoil bar horizontally through the stock immediately behind the rear lug for added strength. (I’ll make a separate post about this but it seems that the stock is weak in that area.)

26” Brux .45 barrel 1:20 twist nitrided
1.1” shank -.890” at muzzle
Woodman adjustable 209 plug (.035” stainless bushing)
Woodman picatinny rail
MZ Rex brake
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock w adj comb
Trigger 1.75 lb
Nitrided swing breech/trigger guard
SWFA SS 16x42
Spartan bipod

View attachment 33738

View attachment 33741
View attachment 33742

I shot some H4198 and N120 with smooth-sized Fury 250, 275, 300 and 325 gr bullets. The first two rounds out of the rifle (250 Fury/51 gr H4198) went into the same hole at 25 yards as I was checking the bore sighting/scope, so I was optimistic right off the bat.

The wind, however, was terrible today at 15-25 mph, so none of the groups at 50 yards were anything to write home about. Best was a three shot group with Fury 300 gr and 52.8 gr of H4198 at about .43” with a couple other combos in the .5” range. I had fun learning the rifle and sizing bullets.

View attachment 33739

View attachment 33737

Can’t wait to do some more shooting today or tomorrow when the wind calms down.

I fired about 25 shots then cleaned the bore and plug. Here’s a pick of the plug and you can see the carbon build-up (plug) on the back side of the bushing. This is typical in these plugs, IME.

View attachment 33740

I personally would rather have DI. What about Direct Ignition? Does he do DI? To me, that would be the ticket....

Latest posts

Back