Serious Non Accuracy/Conicals/54 Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hi

Just so that I feel much better about my rifle and upcoming elk hunt I can get 54 balls into 2 inches at 100. I was hoping to have a 200 yard gun if needed. Not sure about a ball at 200 though.

Anyway I've shot short REAL, long REAL, TC maxi hunters and maxi balls, and something that is a bit more pointed than the maxi hunters. The conicals, if they make the target board at all(appx 4x6 foot at 100yards) are sometimes sideways and best groups are about 8-10 inches and vary up to almost 20 inches. Even if the hit point on.

I'm using real black du pont 2F. Anywhere from 80 to 100 grains, with and without wads. And trying to be very consistent on very firm seating pressure.

Its driving me nuts! It was a kit gun. Ser # 375XXX IIRC.

The bad thing is each time i go back to balls and 100 2F it'll dump em in the same spot around 2 inches or so. Thats without even monkeying with the load.

Now I'm open to all help. Lube is TC/whatever 1000. Its very hot here so its liquid lube basically. I am shooting CCI Musket caps and out of habit for accuracy I swab between shots.

I am what I'd call an above average iron sight shooter, averaging some years up to 10K rounds out to 1000 with post iron sights. So I don't think its me.

I don't have a rod with a swivel handle to where I can easily check the twist..... I'm assuming 48 twist and should shoot the conicals,especially TC ones just fine. I"ve checked the sights and have a peep in the rear and my front blade is milled to be flat and square sides and flat top so I can accurately aim.

Now I don't know if I should buy different conicals. Or should I swap to Pyrodex or 777 of which I have a bit of each.

I do think if ya'll will tell me how to figure out the right patch thickness, that I'll shoot a bunch of patched balls at 100 grains or so, maybe with wads to protect the patch and zero the gun in with them for the Sept hunt just to be safe.

Thanks for any input!!

Jeff

2 inches with roundball @ 100 yards is good shooting. I would expect the conicals to do better that what you are seeing. If they are tumbling like that then it sounds like they may not be engaging the rifling normally. I shoot a .58 cal "Big Boar" Renegade with great results with Maxis and some old Buffalo Bullets. The trajectory of those 500+grain conicals is sort of like a rainbow @ 100 yards though. You might try the Buffalo Ball-et, I like them out of my .50 Hawken. In .54 they come in 310 gr. and a 338 gr. hollow point.

tooldog

Latest posts

Back