Loving my TC Renegade .54. Big Bertha is a shooter!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
I just acquired a new to me TC Renegade in .54 cal. I was checking powder charges to see what it likes at 100 yards with Bullshop 460 grain Lyman GP conicals with a .58 cal wool wad. Basically shoots as good as I can see with globe and rear peep at 100 yards.
85 grains by volume of Old E, rws 1075 plus caps, .58 cal lubed wool wad and bullshop Lyman GP .542” 460 grainers.
My first sidelock and really enjoy the simplicity and cleaning seems easier and quicker than my inlines.

Attachments

• IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice shot placement, I have a TC Renegade in .54 cal as well but with iron sights with old man eyes. Might be time for me to upgrade my sights to something you got there. do you happen to know the manufacturer of that rear peep sight on your Renegade?

Nice shot placement, I have a TC Renegade in .54 cal as well but with iron sights with old man eyes. Might be time for me to upgrade my sights to something you got there. do you happen to know the manufacturer of that rear peep sight on your Renegade?
Williams FP Hawken rear peep and Lyman front globe with a lee shavers thin cross hair is my sight setup.

I have two 54's. TC Thunderhawk and a CVA Missouri.
Mostly round ball out of each gun. I went as high as 90 grains volume powder charge for each. The recoil wasn't bad considering the balls only weigh 230 grains. I don't think I'll be using any heavy lead conicals anytime soon. Lol

I just acquired a new to me TC Renegade in .54 cal. I was checking powder charges to see what it likes at 100 yards with Bullshop 460 grain Lyman GP conicals with a .58 cal wool wad. Basically shoots as good as I can see with globe and rear peep at 100 yards.
85 grains by volume of Old E, rws 1075 plus caps, .58 cal lubed wool wad and bullshop Lyman GP .542” 460 grainers.
My first sidelock and really enjoy the simplicity and cleaning seems easier and quicker than my inlines.
I like my .50 cal Renegade FAR better than any of the inlines I've owned - to the point that I'm giving all of my inlines to my son. I also find the Renegade much easier to clean.

The only .54 I own is a US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle. Recoil is dampened by it's 10.5 lbs weight. But with prb it is a precision shooter. I've fired it a bit with 110 grains of 3F and a 230 grn patched ball. I also used that load on deer with spectacular results. I stopped hunting 7 years ago so it's been a long time since I took the rifle into the woods. The weight usually tended to make me leave it at home and grab something lighter.

By far the most used load in this .54 is 60 grains of 3F which is very accurate and a powderpuff load. Velocity is around 1250 (+ or -).

The only .54 I own is a US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle. Recoil is dampened by it's 10.5 lbs weight. But with prb it is a precision shooter. I've fired it a bit with 110 grains of 3F and a 230 grn patched ball. I also used that load on deer with spectacular results. I stopped hunting 7 years ago so it's been a long time since I took the rifle into the woods. The weight usually tended to make me leave it at home and grab something lighter.

By far the most used load in this .54 is 60 grains of 3F which is very accurate and a powderpuff load. Velocity is around 1250 (+ or -).
Like your quote "Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff" is so true. At 62 years old and shoot'in for some time now, I'll meet an old timer in their 70's or 80's that will teach me a thing or two.

Latest posts

Back