Season Ending Success! Thank you MM community!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it was 7 degrees outside this morning, and the wait was not easy. At first a small doe showed up, alone...but I knew from scouting that there were bigger does as part of the group, and I just needed to be patient. Took almost 10 minutes for the rest to show up, but when they did... Does was shot at 43 yards, very slight quartering away. The shot looks far back but it actually pulverized both lungs. Unfortunately, it did hit the offside shoulder, so I lost some meat there. Deer dropped right there and never took another step. In the end, it was a Hornady Great Plains over 80 grains (v) 777 FFg, 209 primer in the magspark. It all worked as it should.
Next year, hopefully, I will have some real black powder at my disposal and can try this in a more traditional fashion. In the meantime, thank you to all of you who helped me make decisions in the last six weeks about which gun to buy, which bullets to try, which powders...Modern Muzzleloader is such a supportive community and I really appreciate it.Deerhunter 2022.JPG

Last edited:
Maryland. We have a crazy long season...Archery starts second weekend in Sept, late season primitive weapons Feb 1-3. So nearly six months.
I thought was probably the case- just watched a video on a Sika hunt- crazy sounding bugle call. I am originally from SE PA, just across the border from Hagerstown. I think I will look into possibly doing one of those late season primitive weapons hunts for Sika, though I think they are only located in a certain area of the state?? Have you ever hunted them?

I thought was probably the case- just watched a video on a Sika hunt- crazy sounding bugle call. I am originally from SE PA, just across the border from Hagerstown. I think I will look into possibly doing one of those late season primitive weapons hunts for Sika, though I think they are only located in a certain area of the state?? Have you ever hunted them?
Late season primitive is whitetail antlerless only. Sika are in the far eastern part of the state...I've never hunted them. I mostly hunt in western MD...FAR western Maryland...

Latest posts

Back