Pro Hunter & Super 91 Range Work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Well,

With the day off i managed to get a couple a hours at the range this afternoon. Man, 72 degrees...almost too hot!

I started out shootin my TC Pro Hunter. Decided to go with 2 50 grain T7 pellets & see how it shot. Was previously sighted in with 3 pellets.

First shot was about 2" low. Made some adjustments & was grouping well. I'm not one who is recoil shy but must say that a 2 vs 3 pill load was a pleasure especially with a T Shirt on!! Chronied 2 shots and was getting a lil over 1,800 fps. My last group shot was under 1" so I quit & got out my White Super 91 .504. I think I convinced myself that a 250 TC Shockwave Bonded out of the gate at over 1.800 fps is enuff to handle a PA Whitetail! Plus I myself rarely need more than a 2 pill dosage of anything!!! :grin: Saved a clean plate (Below).

Since last shooting my Super 91 I removed scope & repositioned rings to relieve some of the pressure I was getting on the power ajustment ring which a common problem with the Leupold VX II's.

My first shot was 5" high & 4 " to the left. I made ajustments & after about 6 different adjustment shooting sessions it was where I wanted. This took longer & more shots than I expected for some reason. I was shooting some new conicals from Bull Shop .504 sized 460 grain NE's & some NEW's 496 grainers provided to me from Batchief who casted them and gave me some when we were hunting Hogs together in TN. I also was using some Mikes 1/8" Fiber wads(also suggested by Batchief) over powder (unlubed). Load was 75 grains 3fg 777. Didnt have time to try the Swiss I got.

The 460 Bullshops & 496 NEWS both shot great!!! I was shooting my Super 91 at 75 yards & after the initial adjustments it was practically laying on on top of anuther as knew it could!! The 2 bullets shot neck to neck with same poa. The thing I liked about BOTH bullets is that they were not nearly as loose as the No Excuse 460's I previously shot. The No Excuses are sized at .503 and that .001 makes a world of difference!!! I worried about the No Excuses's coming off charge they were that loose.

I have finally found a perfect fit conical for my Super 91! I didnt save any targets as I had so many sprayed up between all the scope ajustments. Next time out will try to keep some targets worthy of a photo session shoot! :grin:

As far as which gun I will carry in PA Early ML Season(Does Only) which open Saturday & runs one week... I'm sorta leanin toward the Pro Hunter only reason it that its new to the family & didnt draw blood yet. My Super 91 already had seen its share. :grin:

DSCF0381.jpg

Thanks for the report Loggy. 8) Yesterday was a great day at the range for me.

BTW Why dont you send me your addy? I need to send you some targets. :p :wink:

Thanks Tom.. I sorta like the pie plates. Nice thing if you dont punch any holes in dem...they're good to go at the dinner table . Sorta a Dual Purpose target! :lol:

Did you notice a crud ring???

Loggy,

Did you feel a crud ring in your Pro Hunter??? In shooting my Brothers Pro Hunter last Thursday with 95 grains of 777 in 2f with the 200 grain shock wave ...I did not feel it with a patch.

The other Pro hunter I shot last July with 105 grains of 2f I did not feel it as well.

Just curious as to weather the new breech plug design is working in T/C's attempt to eliminate the crud ring???

Choc-dog

choc-dog,

There was no crud ring at all. I did a damp windex patch & dry between every shot. The patches had minimal fouling on them.

Back