CVA Wolf Range Report. 420g No Excuses.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIAndy

Reaction score
Hello all. Newish member here. Was kind of a mildish day here in the winter wonderland of Wisconsin, so I took my Wolf out
for a session at 100 yards. Previously shot this group at 50 yards with 70 grains pyrodex, a .54 ox yoke wool wad, and the 420 grain NE conicals. Gun is topped with a 2x7 Nikon prostaff.
20221211_160045.jpg

Bumped the powder charge up to 80 grains for this range session. Was shooting at our farm in a corn field by our little woods we have. My gun rest was too high up and my target was too low at first, so I had to do some fiddling with my rifle rest. 1st two shots were all over the place, but once I finally got settled in, the 1st
group I shot measured 1 3/4 inches, looked like a triangle, and was low and to the left. Adjusted sights up and to the right a little and shot my 2nd group. It's a little tighter at 1 3/8 inches. Two shots hit an inch high and were touching. The other shot hit just below the center line. Still 2 inches to the left, but was running out of daylight and it was getting too cold to shoot. Picture of the target below.

20230114_182924.jpg

Did have enough time to shoot one water jug before it got too dark. Held over to the right on the edge of the blue label and hit it dead center.

20230114_183253.jpg

Pretty pleased with those groups.
Those No Excuses sure do shoot well.
I think I can tighten them up a little more with some practice and a different rest setup. Don't like my current setup, so will be changing
that in the near future. Still too cold in WI to shoot anymore yet, so I will be waiting for spring and warmer weather to get this gun fully sighted in.

Last edited:
Looks like you're doing good!
I've got a Wolf also. Recently acquired and have only had it out once so far.
Thanks. This forum has been a great resource for showing me the ropes on muzzleloading. How do you like your Wolf thus far? Really like mine.

Thanks. This forum has been a great resource for showing me the ropes on muzzleloading. How do you like your Wolf thus far? Really like mine.
I'm liking my Wolf. It seems to be a bit more handy with the shorter barrel. I still need to spend some time sighting it in.

Latest posts

Back