Please explain over powder wad.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
Lubed or unlubed. If over bore size, how does one crush the folds so as to eliminate air, or is a smidgen of air not harmful?

Why not Super Grex? Super Grex has been used in cast bullet center fire cast loads for the last twenty or thirty years. It functions as does a gas check. It was developed by Winchester to cushion shot in shotgun shells, and then used in place of cornmeal over powder in center fire cartridge guns firing lead bullets. I have used it in 44's and 45/70's.

In cartridges it is placed over powder in an amount that would require compression to seat the bullet. It seems to have little effect on pressure.

I have been dumping powder in and ramming a conical bullet straight on top. I guess that is not correct. Trying to teach oneself stuff that one has no idea about is fun.

I have no wads, but I do have a jug of Super Grex and will most likely experiment with it.

Good morning MTY. Aye, experiment with the Grex. It may or may not work perfectly for sealing the bore and keeping the fouling removed or easy to remove. You will not have an answer until you do experiment.

A wad of wool, felt, hard card, leather, tow, wasp nest, or newspaper, etc. over powder and below a Conical bullet helps seal the bore to prevent "possible" escaping gasses from getting by the bullet which "MAY" affect accuracy. Generally, the wad is lubed to assist in cleaning the bore a bit as well as softening the fouling to facilitate easier removal of said fowling and assist in clean-up at the end of a shooting session.

For instance, when the powder ignites, having installed a slightly oversized wad over powder, the wad is pressured against the bottom of the bullet and into the groves and lands of the rifling [ or walls of a smooth bore] which improves the seal of the gasses behind the bullet.

One does not necessarily NEED a wad over powder for a conical bullet. Some folks get great and sufficient accuracy without the wad. However, some folks will experiment to judge for themselves in their particular situation with their gun IF there is improvement in accuracy and/or fouling management.

I have had good accuracy in some guns without a wad and in other guns accuracy is improved enough to recognize at the range. Mostly I use a LUBED wad over powder to assist in Fowling management resulting in easier clean-up.

Part of the "fun" of muzzleloader shooting is the experimentation at the range. Once satisfied with the resultant accuracy, It is a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to harvest game with said muzzleloader.

Cream of wheat, Grits, and even Grex have been used for the above purpose with differing results.

Experiment, Experiment, Experiment & have fun doing it!

Regards, Danaidh

Last edited:
Will the lube from a wad migrate to the bullet over time?

This sounds a lot like using filler in cast bullet cartridges, only without the cartridge. However, I never used a lubed filler. Thanks for the replies.

MTY; research lubes that will not degrade or otherwise negatively affect the powder. I have used olive oil, neat's-foot oil, and other lubes . There is a plethora of selections.

Lube on the bullet itself is a separate but interesting hill to climb. However, research into this on this site will reveal many good solutions. Do a search on Idaholewis and his posts. He suggests very good information on lubing conical bullets. I am sure there are many more quality conical lube suggestions. Like any other aspect of the shooting sport, research and experimentation will make a knowledgeable and accomplished muzzleloader.

I hope this helps a small amount.
Danaidh

I ordered Ox-Yoke 50 cal. lubed wads today. The peep I ordered is supposed to arrive Friday. I should be experimenting by sometime next week.

Latest posts

Back