Petey stopped by today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the size of those rear feet! That cub will be a big boy if he grows into them!
CPW called last night and gave me the story of SOW #183. She is going on 2 years old. Not a trouble bear. Relocated her twice as far as 40-50 miles away and she finds her way back. She will lay next to the pheasant and chicken pen and dig the pinion nuts and then goes off to another area. Hasn't even attempted to get at the birds. CPW coming up today with some rubber bullets. Hopefully that will do the trick. One of those bears that just doesn't know what she's doing or where to go.
I have no problem taking a deer, elk, turkey, antelope. Took a bear many years ago and swore I'd never do it again. There is something about a bear that is so childish like. I really don't have the heart to shoot her unless she threatens to do damage. I'm talking black bears, grizzly may be different story, never crossed one.

Took a bear many years ago and swore I'd never do it again.

Had a jobsite in the Dolly Sods Wilderness and Dolly Sods North areas in WV for two years. One of the guys was a bowhunter who wanted a bear. He shot a 250 pound male bear with it standing up. The guy cried while telling about the bear standing there attempting to pull the arrow out of it's chest while crying like a baby, finally falling over dead.

He won't ever kill another bear.

Ah, the Dolly Sods. I think I still have a map of the area around here somewhere. If I recall, you can see the Canaan Valley on the way up to the Dolly Sods. My buddies and I had a tradition that lasted for a few years. We went backpacking to the Dolly Sods in the Winter. First, we typically had to follow the snowplows over the Blueridge and Allegheny Mountains. Then, we would stop at the old "poor farm" near Franklin, WV. One of the guys owned the property so we would stay a night or two at what had been the caretakers house. It was heated by wood and we cooked on the wood burning stove. I still remember the smells.
Then off we went to the trailhead to the Dolly Sods. It took several stream crossings in 32 degree water, often in the sleet or snow. Talk about COLD!
My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner a few times at that caretaker's house with the family who owned the property. Oil lamps, woodburning stoves, water from an artesian well across from the house, and an outhouse. THAT was a Thanksgiving dinner to be remembered!

Oh, and we learned that the outhouse was too close to the house during the summer and too far away during the winter - and it never moved.

To keep the theme - we did see bear during the warm seasons.
Ron

Bears are plentiful in around around the Dolly Sods. Pretty often they come into Petersburg. The second year we had a pain in the butt COE safety guy on site. He made a big deal about bears. One day the guy asked Ben what he would do if a bear attacked them. Answer: "Kick your bad knee out of place and run like hell. "

We lived in and around Petersburg while working at Dolly Sods. Longest walk from trailhead to work area was about 7 miles each way.

Our survey trailer and total station sat on the eastern edge of the mountains. One day i received a call from the cell phone company. "We think your phone has been cloned". Phone was not cloned. The signal was hitting towers around DC and Baltimore.

It gets cold there at night in the summer. The trailer was manned 24 hours 7/7. The night man ran the generator and electric heater to stay warm.

Last edited:
I kinda think Petey will be okay. Lucky you don't have "Mikey", Mikey will eat ANYTHING. :eek:

I wouldn't shoot a bear, either. I know how it would make me feel afterwards. I love bears and consider them too intelligent to shoot. There are lots of other critters I can't bring myself to harm. That one a few years in WV that walked up to my friend and I - we were sitting on the ground watching for deer - looked so comical and fat he didn't look like he had legs. He came almost right up in our faces.

CPW called last night and gave me the story of SOW #183. She is going on 2 years old. Not a trouble bear. Relocated her twice as far as 40-50 miles away and she finds her way back.

There is something about a bear that is so childish like. I really don't have the heart to shoot her unless she threatens to do damage. I'm talking black bears, grizzly may be different story, never crossed one.
We met Frank Craighead Jr. (August 14, 1916 – October 21, 2001) and John Craighead (August 14, 1916 – September 18, 2016). They told a group of us "If you think you know what a bear is going to do, good luck" "cause you don't know ****".

I'm like you guys, bears are special and fun to watch them play.

Ah, the Dolly Sods. I think I still have a map of the area around here somewhere. If I recall, you can see the Canaan Valley on the way up to the Dolly Sods. My buddies and I had a tradition that lasted for a few years. We went backpacking to the Dolly Sods in the Winter. First, we typically had to follow the snowplows over the Blueridge and Allegheny Mountains. Then, we would stop at the old "poor farm" near Franklin, WV. One of the guys owned the property so we would stay a night or two at what had been the caretakers house. It was heated by wood and we cooked on the wood burning stove. I still remember the smells.
Then off we went to the trailhead to the Dolly Sods. It took several stream crossings in 32 degree water, often in the sleet or snow. Talk about COLD!
My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner a few times at that caretaker's house with the family who owned the property. Oil lamps, woodburning stoves, water from an artesian well across from the house, and an outhouse. THAT was a Thanksgiving dinner to be remembered!

Oh, and we learned that the outhouse was too close to the house during the summer and too far away during the winter - and it never moved.

To keep the theme - we did see bear during the warm seasons.
Ron
I was born and raised in Pa., a little coal mining town called Colver. Was 9 before we had an indoor real bathroom.

CPW came by yesterday with some rubber slugs. He felt the same way about bears. Told me his feelings the way it
s going here in Colorado. If we don't take things in hand we'll have no hunting in 15 years or less. Sad situation. Without managed hunting, animal populations will increase, inbreeding will eventually kill off the species.

I was born and raised in Pa., a little coal mining town called Colver. Was 9 before we had an indoor real bathroom.
We have hunted in the Colver, PA area when young. It's considered the heartland of the PA coal miners, neighbors to the Johnstown steel makers, and fueled the railways for decades. We were the same at the farm didn't get indoor bathroom or electric until 1955.

One of the most miserable places I have seen Stan; black with coal dust and red clay from the earth. Piss poor hunting from what I remember. Sorry something you remember as a kid. :cheers:

Last edited:
Jon put a large stock tank way out back on the edge of the property. It's so dry...no food and water for any of the animals.

Hey, stake Jon by the stock tank. Him and Petey will have a memorial time (you know French word for "a phrase meaning time extending beyond the reach of memory, record, or tradition, indefinitely ancient". Stan.... :thumbs up:

CPW came by yesterday with some rubber slugs. He felt the same way about bears. Told me his feelings the way it
s going here in Colorado. If we don't take things in hand we'll have no hunting in 15 years or less. Sad situation. Without managed hunting, animal populations will increase, inbreeding will eventually kill off the species.
Sad....anti-hunting idiocy is bad!

Got pissed yesterday. Found out neighbor down the road shot her. Said she was on his porch and going for the cat food. She apparently was familiar with people as she didn't run or attack. Upset the boys also. Told neighbor: you live out here in the wilderness, you don't put feed on your porch, you put it away from the house to feed the cats....dumb ass! Also told me she dumped over his trash cans. Again bear proof your trash!!! Anywho...you can't fix stupid. Jon was not happy about that one!
As far as trash goes: bout a 2 horde trailer years ago for $200 at auction. My oldest son Stan, fabricate sheet metal to fit all the opening and welded them in place! Bear proof storage until we take trash to the dump.

Latest posts

Back