Nula Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate121080

Reaction score
I bought a used nula about a month ago. They owner stated it would shoot about an 1 1/4" which isnt bad. This is my 4th trip to the range and I love this gun! The first 3 trips it was hot. Temps in the 80s. Today it was 44 degrees with a calm wind.

It loves the 275 grain parkers and 44 gr of 4759. Also shoots the 250 gr xtp with harvester sabot and 44 grains of 5744. I did notice one observation. I shot it dirty and swabbing in between shots. Whenever I cleaned it, velocity would stay right around 2320 fps. When it was dirty it was around 2271 fps. It also loaded tighter when clean than dirty but more consistent. Thats where I figured the extra FPS were coming from.

The first target is 12 shots with the parkers and 4759 all at 102 yards. The first group is on the right. I clicked it 3 times to the left and shot the group on the far left. Either the scope didnt adjust correctly or I didnt hear/feel the correct clicks. I clicked it back 2 clicks to the right and put 6 shots in a 1/2"! The second target is with the 250 xtp and 5744 powder. It measured 11/16" center to center. Overall I'm very pleased.

I did have to take the breach plug out about every 5th shot to clean the primer pocket or the primers would stick real bad. I actually chipped a tooth cause one got stuck so bad lol. I took a dremel tool with a polisher cone and polished the pocket. Just enough to make it shine but if it continues I'm going to polish the machine marks out as thats where the buildup is taking place. Its like little ridges.

Even with it being cool I still had to wait 12-15 minutes between shots. The first 2 groups was shot with about 7 minutes in between shots. Even though the breech felt cold it wasnt. My last 6 shots verified that. Also, I shot it free recoiling. I would get a dead bag and make any tiny adjustments I needed with my left hand. Just using my right hand to grip the stock and pull it towards me. Was using a Caldwell "the rock" front rest with a rear bunny ear bag.

NulaTarget001.jpg

NulaTarget003.jpg

NulaTarget004.jpg

Very impressive groups and some impressive velocities also. That should make a heck of a hunting rifle.

Regular CCI. I first started with some old CCI skeet/ trap primers that are no longer made. They were a touch bigger than the newer CCI's. They would stick bad after 2 shots then I would have to clean the primer pocket. The extractor wouldnt even pull them out any. I would like to try some federals but no one carries them around here. I'm shooting the new CCI's now but I can get about 5 shots before having to clean. Are you getting a lot of blow back in the primer pocket? They are sealing tight cause my bolt face has very very little residue even have shooting 25+ times.

If you prefer CCIs and the smokeless load data is ok with the CCI209Ms, they are a tad longer than the middle CCI in your pic. I havent tried the newest CCI on the bottom yet.

I'm using your middle one with no problems. I'm surprised that CCI has something newer, I just bought those from Cabelas 4 months ago.

Lawdwaz said:
LOL, I meant pics of the gun, not the primers!

Oh my bad lol. Its just like most. Matte barrel, black stock lol but I can still post a pic if you want.

Latest posts

Back