SML Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the Hankins conversion out today. Last time I was having trouble getting it on paper then getting it to group. Today I tried different bullets and 2 different charges (55 and 60 gr if IMR4198) pushing a 250 gr Hornady FTX with a 1/8" veggie wad. Best I could get was 2.5" at 50 yards!
I have a strong suspicion it is the Crimson Trace scope because my first 2 shots hit 4" high and 4" left. At 1/4" per click that meant 8 clicks per inch at 50 so I moved 12 clicks right and 12 down (I know, should have been 16 clicks). Next shots were way low and right. OK - so moved up 6 clicks and left 6 clicks. POI now 4" low and 3" left. Not only is the scope not tracking as it should, it isn't holding zero.
There is no way this rifle can shoot that horribly. My .58 flintlock was shooting 1" groups today at 50 yards so it wasn't me.
I already called Crimson Trace and they're sending me a return label and issuing me a refund.

Last edited:
I put another scope on it an may get out on Friday.
And before anyone questions it, yes all the screws were tightened down and I even marked the scope this time to see if it moved. Everything was as it should be except the scope!

Last edited:
I’ve shot bunches of those bullets out of my Scout. 55 grains has always given me the best group with wool wad. Single hand loading pressure. As far as the scope I would hope they make it right..

Latest posts

Back