New T/C Triumph--What to do before I shoot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsHunter

Reaction score
Is there anything I need to do to the barrel? Do I need to run some patches through before trying to load a sabot? I plan on using BH209 90grains with a 250 SST and a Harvestor sabot. I made the mistake of playing with the gun and trying to push a T/C shockwave (came with the gun) down the barrel to test. Darn thing was stuck. Took some Hoppes 9 and let it soak and pushed it out. THis leads me to believe I need to clean the entire barrel and make sure it is dry before loading anything??

Clean

Definately clean the gun. Use some Hoppe's #9 and make sure you use dry patches after to get all the oil out. Then take a couple of patches with alcohol and a couple more dry patches to it. Fire a couple of primers to foul the barrel and then load and have fun. Make sure you seat the bullet firmly on the BH209. Also use CCI 209M or Fed 209A primers for best results with BH209.

Have fun and be safe out there. Good luck!

You have to clean that rifle real well before you try to shoot it. First thing you do is read that manual cover to cover and understand what you read. Then clean the barrel real good. Use some solvent and scrub that barrel good. Then dry patch the barrel real good. The patches could be real nice and clean.

The breech plug needs to be cleaned as well. Before you put that back in the rifle, apply some teflon tape to it or use anti seize on the threads. Then pop a couple primers through the rifle.

After you have done all of that you are ready to shoot the rifle, according to the instructions found in the manual. Remember with Black Horn you need a nice snug fitting sabot and compress that on the powder charge real well. I am sure some of the Triumph shooters will come on and give you some tips.

Latest posts

Back