T/C Encore .308 pistol decision, looking for input

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've picked up a Thompson Center Encore last year from someone who barely shot it before selling. It is set up as a pistol, installed with a 15" .308 Win chambered barrel and also has the rubber pistol grips. Came with the T/C pistol offset scope, very nice but doesn't have any other sights. I purchased this initially to possibly part it out and never got around to even investigating the feasibility. And then I decided I liked the idea of having this as a pistol and possibly find other pistol barrels for hunting and plinking.

So, does the .308 make for a feasible pistol? I'm figuring hunting medium size game, probably closer than 100 yards. If so, does it need a muzzlebrake?

Here's the next one... my neighbor was over telling me he sees no point in pistols for hunting. I told him about this 308 pistol and needless to say, he didn't believe that I had something like that. The last two times I've seen him he's commented on selling it to him. I do have another Encore set up as a rifle (209x50 & .30-06) with a few barrels.

Do I sell this to my neighbor and only rely on one Encore to work as both a pistol and rifle? Seeing that the T/C line still is not in production, I feel more inclined to keeping the receiver and selling him the barrel and scope. Helping him locate a receiver and a pistol grip set. And then finding a different barrel for the pistol.... which one?? :)

Thanks for reading and feedback. Have a good day.

1 (1).jpeg

I'd keep it as is and hunt it. I think the 308 would be an outstanding caliber for deer sized game to 100-150 yards but you'd need to shoot it enough to find a bullet weight that flies well from the gun. As for a brake, that would be up to you. Personally, I'd pass on the brake with that short of a barrel. I have an Optima pistol that is probably pretty close to what you have there weight-wise and I shoot a 225 grain bullet on top of 90 grains by volume of BH209. Lots of recoil but I can't imagine your gun being any more than what I experience. Unless you're a reloader, I'd look for some 150 grain bullets and start there.

Thanks for all of your input. I also forgot to add that the pistol came with a very nice T/C zippered carrying case. I forgot to mention that I paid just over $900 for this entire package. So far, I am getting the impression my neighbor won't be getting this LOL

After further discussion with my neighbor, he has asked to find him a similar firearm.

Any places other than gunbroker that are selling receivers? I've been looking at some combos but getting only what is wanted is ideal. Appreciate any assistance and happy new year!

I‘ve recently become interested in big game handgun hunting and put together a 308 Encore pistol topped with a red dot, and it‘s a tack driver at 50 yards (which is as far as I plan to shoot) with my handloads. It bucks and snorts but isn’t horrible to shoot.

OP, Encore parts are commanding premium money right now, so if you decide to part it out or sell it to your neighbor, do your homework and don’t leave money on the table.
I actually bought another Encore rifle today just to get the receiver and stock and intend to sell the barrel to offset the cost.

Here’s my 308.
IMG_0266.jpeg

Back