New product from T/C

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, are those compression seals near the nose of the plug AND is that an O-ring at the rear of the "thread" section?

Rubber?

or are you trying to quit? :wink:

Randy,
Do you know if this new breechplug is just for the new barrels or does it have a sleeve insert to also fit existing Encore barrels?

Steve

ASAIK, just new barrels. That is an O-Ring, but I didn't check the SuperGronked durometer. :drinkers:

The blow back I am getting in the Encore breech is coming from along the sides of the 209 primer and not the plug threads. It will be interesting to see how this new plug performs in that regard.

toytruck said:
The blow back I am getting in the Encore breech is coming from along the sides of the 209 primer and not the plug threads. It will be interesting to see how this new plug performs in that regard.

Aparently only if you buy the new barrel. I was hoping they had improved the existing plugs, not gone with a new system not compatable with older barrels. I hope they will address the blowback on the older barrels as well.

Would you believe threads on only two sides. One half turn and slide it out.
:p

49TCprohtr-med.jpg

49TCprohtrb.jpg

There are three compression seals on the nose of the plug - you can see those in the larger pic Randy posted above. Additionally, there appears to be a rubber? O-ring at the rear surface of the plug. The plug MUST be in position to allow the solid extractor to rotate into the vertical position. This also acts as an interlock to prevent closure of the action unless the plug is properly positioned and the extractor aligned to the operating position. TC suggests a 95% reduction in blowback via those seals.

My guess is those compression seals and the overall design of the forward end of that plug dictate the necessity for the removal end (nipple end) having that machined "cut" or reduction at the forward end of the socket. That is likely there to give something to pull on as it seems to me the plug could otherwise be difficult to remove after fouling. May be an interesting removal tool.

Thanks for the scans Randy. :)

Looks like a handfull of Benelli in the buttstock and a pinch of AR-15 in the breechplug. Seems like they improved every aspect of the gun.

Well, I was right about the breechplug design using interupted threads. That is a very old design primarily used in military breechplugs that TC copied.

Back