.358 bullets in a 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 180-200 gr .358 rifle bullets in the sabots for 38-357 bullets in a 45?
I was looking for 180-200 gr 357 bullets to try, and ran across some 180 gr. .358 speer soft point bullets. I think my 700 ml could stand the extra thousands in diameter and the bullets look like they should work well.
Does anyone see any reason I should not try these?

i've actually been wondering the same thing myself,but in 225g for my 20" twist knight.....karl

Unless you have a 1:20 twist or faster, don't bother. The bullets are too long to stabilze in 1:28, or 1:32 twist 45cal barrels. Been there, tried that and failed......

Lane gives good advice. Search back for the past month or three. Busta has done several posts about his experience with similar bullets in a 1 in 30" twist .45 cal rifle and a 1 in 20" twist .45 cal rifle.

Wish I'd have found this site earlier. I have some of these in 200gr on the way. Hornady has a 180gr "pistol" bullet but it seems anything with the label "pistol" is in short supply these days. My concern was just this....twist rate wouldn't be enough. My go to gun is a 1:28 twist but I do have an older model in 1:22.
I'll be trying the 180gr .357 bullets also and if they work I may try to acquire the 35 Rem in 180 for it's increased BC over the xtp.

I wouldn't give up until you try some. I've shoot the .357 cal 195 grain Dead Centers out of my 1 in 28" twist .45 with very good accuracy. That 195 grainer should be at least as long as your 180 grain rifle bullets, and maybe close to as long as a 200 grain. They stabilized just fine for me. So I'd try it out, use differing powder charges to see what you can get.

You do need the right sabots- I'd recommend the orange ones from PR bullets, as they are made for shooting these longer bullets.

I was thinking just that after posting last night.

PR claims the faster twist 45s have no place but I suspect the problems faced are due to the sabots and not the gun.

Back