Knight Rolling Block KRB7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a KRB707N in Next G-1 camo and stainless today. :D I'm heading to the range tomorrow for an all-day shootn session! Reports to follow. The very first thing that amazed me was the selection of recommended powders and charges. I thought only White recommended 150 grains of Pyro-P, but this charge was listed as one of the possible MAXIMUM charges for the KRB7. The barrel on this gun is noticably heftier than my White .504 UM, and is also made from rifle grade stainless steel. I have no doubt that it will take 150 grains of FF BP, Prodex RS/Select/P, or FF T7 as stated in the manual. I never go beyond 120 grains of anything with the projectiles I shoot because I don't like ridiculous amounts of recoil that serves no practical purpose. It is nice to know that Knight thinks the KRB7 can safely handle these loads. The bad news is lead conicals are not recommended, primarily due to the fact they won't stay seated on the powder. I think the lawyers put this one in to cover some butt. I agree that bad things can and will happen if the bullet is not seated on the charge, but sabots are no guarantee the shooter will pull the trigger with a properly seated bullet. I tested my barrel and found the tip was slighty narrow compared to the the rest of the bore. This usually means the barrel will be exceptionally accurate, but also means care must be taken to keep pure lead conicals seated on the powder charge. This is exceptionally true when hunting. Fouling the barrel is a must when conicals glide easily down. Anyway, those of you interested in pure lead conical performance should stay tuned. I'm going to throw every kind of conical I have through this baby tomorrow and post the results Sunday night. If it turns out to be another sabot shooter, it will be for sale shortly.... :roll:

Here's a pic of the new baby!

DSC00073.jpg

Shots 1-3 on the target were from my Omege. The clocver leaf was from the KRB7, 90 grains of Pyro-P, 460 grain NoExcuses conicals. Keep in mind this is at 100 yards, open sigths. Thinking the KRB7 group was a fluke, I tried it again and a 4-shot clover-leaf.

DSC00071.jpg

...and finally a 5-shot group from the KRB7 shooting 444 grain Powerbelts over 120 grains of Pyrodex-P. Again, 100 yds, open sights.

DSC00067.jpg

...and finally a 5-shot group from the KRB7 shooting 444 grain Powerbelts over 120 grains of Pyrodex-P. Again, 100 yds, open sights.

So the answer to the conical question is yes, the KRB7 can shoot conicals very well. I tried a bunch of other brands and combinations with less than steller results, but I must say every bullet did land on paper at 100 yds, which in itself, is amazing! Yep, the KRB7 takes a little more effort to clean than some, but I'm not sensitive to this.

Groups

Very nice shooting. I have some similar groups I will try to get posted up tonight from last nights shoot. You can't go wrong with the KRB7.

You guys are not going to make this easy on me are you??? :x :x :x

That is some excellent shooting there. If it throws conicals like that, I think the Colorado hunters would flock to that rifle. Would that be an Idaho legal rifle?

The fact they will allow those kind of charges does say a lot for the strength of the barrel and the action.. excellent range report.

Range time

This is some shooting I did a few nights ago. I was shooting at 100yds off of a Polcat shooter sticks with the Knight Rolling Block KRB7 Camo/stainless 100 grns 777 295 Powerbelts and CCI red primers. Shot the first 4 top left then took a break and shot the lower three guess I was getting tired. Last pic is of the Elk wallow I will be hunting.

CIMG0856.jpg

Elk Wallow
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/dneff/CIMG0826.jpg

CIMG0862_edited.jpg

The more I look at that rifle the more I really like that rifle. It sure looks like you have a good shooter. So far it seems to shoot a lot of different things well. That I think is because of the Knight quality.

Have you ever tried the 300 grain Saber Tooth conicals? They even make a 350 grain. They shoot good out of all my Knight rifles.

:D :D :D that's what I like to hear Kevinbrian... more range reports in the future.

To quote one my beloved Allison Krauss songs, it's my "new favorite". No muzzleloader is perfect, so to add a little perspective, here's a few plus and minus points:

Pluses:

1. Green Mountain Barrel. Excellent quality and built like a Howitzer.
2. Falling block design extracts primers easily.
3. Trigger is easily removable for cleaning and easy access to breech plug.
4. Lightweight ramrod is usable in the field and stays put when firing.
5. Design is not sensitive to tighteness of assembly bolt/screw.
6. Open sights are well designed and very effective.
7. No "crud ring" problems that plague TC's.
8. Seems to shoot a wide variety of loads, making the task of finding the right combo much faster and cheaper than some other brands.

Minuses:
1. 8 lb weight is noticably heavier than some other brands.
2. Primer is not forced into position with enough force to guarantee a waterproof seal. (it'snot terribly exposed either).
3. The trigger and receiver must be "flushed & brushed" to get all the residue cleaned out.

I was worried about blowback, particularly in hunting situations when I may forget to wear some kind of eye protection. However, the KRB7 seems to leak very little gas when fired and what does come out hits my forearm and not my face. I feel very comfortable using this rifle on my elk hunt this year. I'll probably use the 444 grain flatpoint Powerbelt for piece of mind. I know these will punch through an elk and also stay put on top of the charge, not to mention they grouped well for a very stout charge of PyroP. I would highly recommend this muzzleloader for anyone who must shoot conicals. Colorado hunters in particular!

I just bought three Whites that I have not even shot yet and now you guys are getting me all set to invest in the Rolling Block. Big problem is that I have an original Remington Rolling Block that my friend made into a 40-65 "Buffalo Rifle" so I am partial to Rolling Blocks already. I also like the fact that it removes the primer after firing eliminating the need for some kind of tool. I also like the fact that it shoots conicals since I only hunt Elk. Damn! I didn't want to buy another gun safe but I can see that coming. I bet Dave has one before I do; anyone want to take that bet??
PS: We are setting records here for the most days over 110 degrees in a year. I think today or tomorrow will top the record so shooting is not a strong possibility here yet.

So where is the best place to order one right now? I haven't visited my local bass pro yet since I always get in trouble when I go there. :D

PowderKeg

Breech plug

Yes, it is protected the rolling block part closes and protects the primer and the breech plug.

KRB7

Yesterday I shot the saboted lead bullets that Knight threw in with the Rolling Blcok when I bought it. I was very suprised at how well they grouped. Open sights at 100yrds were grouping at just under 2" with the wind blowing.

There was another group of 3 guys at the range sighting in their muzzleloaders and they were shooting Omegas and Winchesters. They could not believe how good I was grouping the the KRB7. None of them were shooting as good of groups. I will have to say though my buddies Omega was gettin er done with some nice groups. We both have done alot of shooting over the last few weeks. I believe you need to be very comfortable and confident with your rifle before you go after the mighty Elk.

Tonight I am going to try the 200grn shockwaves. I will take some pics and post up.

Elk season starts in 9 days and I am getting fired up.

Back