Triumph or Knight Rolling Block?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwmican

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here, and glad to meet everyone! Question for you guys. I am going to buy a new inline. I am upgrading from a T/C Black Diamond XR. I am looking at two rifles right now, the Knight Rolling Block, and the T/C Triumph. Any pro's and con's between the two? I will mostly be using it in Colorado where sabots are illegal, so if one of them shoots conicals better, that would be the one I would probably get. I handled a Triumph last weekend at Gander Mountain and really liked it. I have never held or even seen the Rolling Block in person though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't jhave a Triumph but my Omega will only shoot Powerbelt conicals fairly well. Not very reliable with solid lead ones. I bought a KRB7 just so I can shoot the big lead conicals. Big lead Conical shooting with the KRB Reports are very good although I have not had mine long enough to give you my results.

Ok, I ordered a new Knight KRB7 yesterday! I got a heck of a deal from http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/
I ordered the stainless camo stock version and it was only $364 delivered! That is $55 cheaper than my local Cabela's store in Buda Texas plus I didn't have to pay any taxes or anything! I guess you can tell I am just tickled to death! Anyway, I will be using if for all types of hunting but I will probably be using it first this September, as I am putting in for Elk and Mule Deer tags for Colorado. I can only shoot conicals there so anyone have any particular loads to use? Right now I was shooting Powerbelts out of my T/C Black Diamond, was getting decent accuracy but nothing spectacular. I think there may be some better bullets than Powerbelts and was wondering what you guys recommend? Thanks!
48397.jpg

Lungbuster had one that shot real good. I'm sure he would help ya with a few loads that worked for him. I know he shot conicals out of his. Kerry

Thanks I'll check with him, or maybe if he reads this maybe he could leave some input. Thanks!

noexcuses.jpg

Don't be too quick to sell that Black Diamond short.. I was shooting 460 grain .503 diameter No Excuses conicals out of my black diamond one after noon getting ready for some thickets I was going to hunt. I wanted to check the load in the BD. My BD XR has a 1.5 x 4.5 Bushnell Banner scope scope on it. I know that picture says 100 yards but later, when I got my range finder I started checking my distances instead of pacing them off, and I think that was only 88 yards in reality. I was sitting in a lawn chair with a set of shooting sticks for a rest.

The small hole to the far right was a 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB with 100 grains of powder under it. I'd been hunting some fields that morning but was headed to some real tangle as we call it.. that afternoon and wanted a heavy bullet that I could do fast short range shots on a low power setting with... So the BD was the logical choice for that.

No Excuse conicals and Bull Shop conicals all shoot good out of it. Bull Shop are a little cheaper and excellent quality as well.

Oh I would never sell it, it was a gift for my wedding from my groosmen 8 years ago. I will never part with it!

I think the KRB most likely is the more accurate gun..

Both are nice however.

never shot the t.c triumph.. but the krb7 seams to be a good shooter :lol: dont like the looks of the t.c :shock: :shock: thanks WORM

Ok, the KRB7 came in Tuesday and I couldn't wait for the weekend to shoot it. I didn't have any conicals to shoot out of it yet so I sighted in with some 240 T/C cheap shot sabots. It took me 2 shots to get it dialed in at 100 yards, then I shot 3 more in a 2" group with open sights. That's pretty good for me, so I am impressed. I was using 100 grains of Triple 7. Now I just need to find a good conical for Elk and play around until I find the one that shoots best. Any suggestions?

GWmican

Congrats on the KRB7 they are Awsome Shooters thats for shure!

I was shooting 85gr 2fg loose 777 A 445gr UC short Conical from BullShop and a .510-A Nitro Card Wad , AKA ( over the powder wad )

I also shot the 460gr NEX Bullshop conical with the same type of Accurracy.

They were sized at .504

it would shoot a 8 shot group just a smidgon over 1" - 1.25" @ 100yds

Good luck I am shure she will do you proud

Ron

gwm-2'' at 100 with open sights is very good. I can't even see 100yds anymore without a scope :roll:

gwmican,

You might/will want to slug your bore before deciding on what diameter conical to shoot. The knight bore diameters can range from .500" to .5035" from just the few I know about lately. I just bought 3 Knights of the same make and model (Disc Extreme MHC) and all 3 have different diameters. I used .503" No Excuses to check the land to land bore measurements.

.501" = started with fairly hard pressure (not good)
.5015" = started with moderate pressure (acceptable)
.502" = started with light pressure (perfect IMO for a .503")

A .504" bullet would have been a real bear in the .501" bore. Of course if you order from Bullshop, you can have them sized to whatever your bore prefers.

Knights specs are .500"-.502", but we all know that most barrels run on the high side of that and over. I would say the majority run in between .501"-.502" as in my examples. UC had a KRB7 with a tight bore, but just got a new barrel with a .503" bore IIRC. His KP1 has a .5035" bore.

If you know your bore diameter, it will save you alot of time and money finding the proper conical. Either the 445 gr UC Shorts or the 460 gr NEx from Bullshop, or 460 gr No Excuses should be perfect for Colorado Elk. I use 80 grains of FFFG 777, .518" x .060" fiber gasket wad under my .503" diameter bullets in my .502" NEF Huntsman (Green Mountain 1-28" barrel, same rifling as Knight).

Remember Colorado has a limit on bullet length, no longer than twice the diameter, or basicaly 1" for a .50 caliber. If you want to get technical, a .504" White could go with a 1.008" bullet. The 460 No Excuses/460 NEx Bullshop are around .970" or a little under.

Don't use a PowerBelt, trust me on this one. To make a long story short...my buddy shot a huge 6x6 at 28 yards and the PowerBelt blew up on the shoulder...tracked for over 3/4 mile...looked for 2 days...came home sick...still sick! I shot mine in the exact same place (opposite shoulder) a couple days earlier with a 430 gr White Super Slug (obsolite) at 46 yards, went 56 yards and was DOA. The solid lead slug plowed through the shoulder, taking out the heart and lungs. The problem with PowerBelts are the deep hollow point, it is the same on all the bullets, so the ones under 400 grains are to light and explosive, the ones over 400 grains are too long for Colorado. Save yourself the headache, don't use them on ELK!

Hornady is making a new bullet, the FPB. This bullet is a 350 grain skirtless bullet that is supposed to load like a powerbelt, that may show some promise. I have not seen the length of it posted anywhere as of yet, so it may or may not qualify for CO. Any bullet would be better than the PB IMO.

Good luck on the draw, if you have never been to Colorado in September before, you are in for a REAL TREAT! :D

Well I am 33 years old and still have a little better than 20/20 vision. I know you all probably hate me! Lungbuster I sent you a pm. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Busta thanks for the good info. I have shot muzzeloaders for a while now, but I am still learning so bear with me guys. Hate to sound like a dummy.

Back