Info on T/C Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sgt Recoil, I'm headed out today with Powerbelts Platinum 270-gr and 300-gr FPB's (picked up a pack just to see) and will be using loose Black Mz, I did like what the Powerbelts did the last time out. I have a couple different rifles to sight in today, my T/C Omega, C Sharps and my M4.

Power-Belt-Platnum.jpg

Tell that to the last 5 muzzle loader deer I shot. All one shot, most never ran over 25 yards. Works for me.

Range day with the T/C Omega went great..... as expected as seen in Sgt Recoils photo the Hornady FPB's had a spread of 6" with the 3 shot group using the same POA with 100 gr of Black Mz will make good fishing weights... the Powerbelt Platinum 275-gr's where far more accurate with a nice group. I also tried the T/C Maxi Hunters and was surprised at the respectable accuracy for a conical meant for a 1:48 twist barrel.

Thanks for the range report Silent Walker. The FPBs prefer slower twist it seems. I was going to try my Maxi Hunters too that I cast but forgot them as well. Sitting right beside the TMZs lol.
I have six packs of 20 Hornady.44/240gr XTPs to use up plus a half box of bullets and sabots to use up so I’ll be set for a few season
😉

Last edited:
I could never get the 350 gr FPB's to shoot well out of my Omegas with their QLA muzzles. My Omegas are pretty much sabot shooting guns. The FPB's would hit the target sideways.
The FPB's shoot great out of my 1-28'' Renegade barrels with no QLA's. I have never tried the FPB's in my stock 1-48'' Renegade. I might try that sometime.

Hatchet Jack,
Yep the FPB definitely struck sideways and no where near where my paper target was lol.
The target was the bottom right red and white (not small cadet that) see where Im pointing to the where it stricked the wood. :(
0F5B1CE2-FD68-4CBD-9A75-9F0E9F982619.jpegDB3BD428-F62E-473C-B994-51A1B7A0293A.jpegFrom my Renegade with 1:48 a whole different story.
Sabots for the Omega and likewise for my Encore 209x50 👍

Powerbelts work great on paper. On bone, not so much. I would not trust them for hunting.
Powerbelts will do the job on an elk, with no problem. A couple of years ago I took an elk at 147 yds., .50 cal. with a powerbelt. Fell right where I shot it. Jon has the pictures somewhere if you need proof. Left a hole the size of Jon's fist. We used powerbelts for everything from deer, elk & bear.

Powerbelts will do the job on an elk, with no problem. A couple of years ago I took an elk at 147 yds., .50 cal. with a powerbelt. Fell right where I shot it. Jon has the pictures somewhere if you need proof. Left a hole the size of Jon's fist. We used powerbelts for everything from deer, elk & bear.
It's good to hear they work for you. We have had miserable experiences with them
whitetail hunting in years past. Usually when bone was encountered. Lots of fragmentation without penetration. Long tracking jobs and some lost deer.
On the flip side they shoot great and kill qwik when no bone encountered.

I decided that I just didn't have the bank account to test every conical, belted or not out there... a pack of 15 are expensive, and if they don't work well money wasted. So I sold my T/C Omega Z5... shooting my LGPR isn't a cost I have to sweat about, patched round balls are cheap :thumbs up:

I'm with you SW , I am using my .54 Renegade and.RB. I would use Hornady Great Planes bullets, but I can't find any.
I will trade my Omega for a good pair of Lacross rubber boots, and not look back.

Attachments

• 20200103_180549.jpg
    20200103_180549.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Getting on this topic late, as I just got a used one in good condition from a local pawn shop... After the initial clean up etc, took it out to shoot. The Bushnell 3x9x40 scope I had in the garage (forgot why it was there) well at the range I kept hitting low and left about 8" at 25 yards :rolleyes: using 240-gr XTP in Hornady green sabots... no amount of adjustment would fix the problem. Got home removed the most likely cause of the problem.... I'll go back with just using the open fiber optic sights.... and scope it later.
Well, at least you know why that scope was in the garage. Been there. Good fortune at the range...I'm betting that group tightens now:)

I more or less have that many TC sidelocks for spare parts if ever needed. 🤣
I sold my TC 209x50 Endeavour a few years back as I could not get it to shoot as well as the Omega, Plus it was a lot heavier.
I found the “hinge-action” bp guns less accurate but we are only talking a few inches here lol.
However, I do have a earlier blued 209x50 Encore bbl that needs some work, pitted bore and breach plug was seized in. Previous owner was unaware of cleaning requirements with bp and bp substitutes.
I’d like to see if my .50 Maxi-Hunters will shoot decent enough out of it. 😉
Found the same thing with a "hinge-action" bp rifle I had. Just wasn't a tight fit. Rifle went out the door.

Back