T/C Omega .50 cal dilemma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNEA Traditional

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to scoop up a T/C omega w/ bluen barrel excellent shape or a used but good T/C Omega w/ stainless barrel. Both have black synthetic stock and both seem to be from the early 2000's pre z5.

My question is anyone here have experience shooting both the stainless and bluen barrel together? Does it even matter besides stainless is easier to maintain?

***Through my research I can't find any other differences between the 2 besides barrel.

Last edited:
Have both. Love both. Now I haven't had a chance to chrono them. But it is my experience with TC barrels, that stainless steel does give a velocity increase over the same load in a carbon barrel.
Now I know the variables involved, but as an example, my stainless Firehawk gives 75 fps more than my 26 inch Black Diamond XR did with the same load. I observe no difference in accuracy. Just the corrosion resistance is worth it. I also find stainless to be significantly easier to clean than carbon.
Good fortune to you

Have both. Love both. Now I haven't had a chance to chrono them. But it is my experience with TC barrels, that stainless steel does give a velocity increase over the same load in a carbon barrel.
Now I know the variables involved, but as an example, my stainless Firehawk gives 75 fps more than my 26 inch Black Diamond XR did with the same load. I observe no difference in accuracy. Just the corrosion resistance is worth it. I also find stainless to be significantly easier to clean than carbon.
Good fortune to you
Thank you boss!!! @Confederate rifleman that is exactly the type of honest comparison I was looking for🙏

If it was my choice, I'd go with the stainless. Only because I think it would look better than black and black.
The only inline I’ve ever owned was the 45XR black diamond. I bought it on a whim and while it was a good shooter I couldn’t warm up to the looks. I’ve carried black rifles quite a bit and my recreational guns should be purty... maybe I’d like a stainless contender in .45. Had a contender carbine back when. The wood on it was amazing.

Some of the early Z5s had true stainless and blued barrels. The majority of the Z5s have "painted" barrels, or what TC called Weathershield. I call it,,,well I'll be nice. I've owned, bought, sold, cannibalized a bunch of Omegas and all of the Weathershield barrels had issues. I even had one NIB that was rusty. So KoNEA IMO make sure the barrels are true blue or stainless. If they're not, they will shoot just fine but just make sure you stay on top of them, and keep them spotless.

Some of the early Z5s had true stainless and blued barrels. The majority of the Z5s have "painted" barrels, or what TC called Weathershield. I call it,,,well I'll be nice. I've owned, bought, sold, cannibalized a bunch of Omegas and all of the Weathershield barrels had issues. I even had one NIB that was rusty. So KoNEA IMO make sure the barrels are true blue or stainless. If they're not, they will shoot just fine but just make sure you stay on top of them, and keep them spotless.
I appreciate the honesty @fishhawk2700 🙏

Did some extra researching on stainless vs blued and came across an omega dream season and x7. Anyone got lead on one of these? Or know someone who might want to let one go?

I have them both, not parting with them, basically they are hard to come by these days, so if you’re serious,when you see one don’t hesitate to buy it. I haven’t seen a dream season for sale in a while. good luck, keep checking gun broaker

Latest posts

Back