T/C Patriot with .45 cal maxi ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
Out to the range this a.m. Nice this morning, getting hot later today.
This was my first try with maxi balls out of my T/C. I have shot .440 round patched round balls for years.
My first shot.
Looks like it key holed. When i removed the paper targe I could see it did on the backer board.
Every shot after that flew straight and true.
005.jpg
I shot on paper then plastic jugs filled with water.
010.jpg
30 grains of 777
I also shot steel knock down targets and saw one of my maxi balls laying on the dirt berm.
012.jpg
I also shot my "kit gun". This pistol is rifled but w/o sights.
Here are my two guns.
009.jpg
The accuracy shooting the Patriot and Maxi balls was less then I have found with patched round balls. Maybe the barrel is too short to stabilize the maxi.

Anyway it was fun.

Shooting BP pistols is the most fun you can legally have imho. Maybe pop a couple fouling caps before that first shot next time, may help a bit too.
I did. Two in fact on both guns. It just seemed odd to me that my first shot key holed. I took about 2 dozen shots all together.
My guess is the accuracy is better with round balls due to the tighter fit in the bore. I only had about 4 round balls with me. The maxi balls loaded very easily. I know alloy can make a difference when casting. The mold I used was made for T/C. The maxi ball may be a bit undersized.

I did. Two in fact on both guns. It just seemed odd to me that my first shot key holed. I took about 2 dozen shots all together.
My guess is the accuracy is better with round balls due to the tighter fit in the bore. I only had about 4 round balls with me. The maxi balls loaded very easily. I know alloy can make a difference when casting. The mold I used was made for T/C. The maxi ball may be a bit undersized.
My experience with any maxi balls or hunters is that they start hard but do go down the barrel pretty easy.

I almost forgot, did you lube the whole maxi-ball? Or just the bottom groove? They can get outta balance if you lube that huge top groove. I prefer the maxi-hunters, but they're near impossible to find so you have to find a mould and make your own.

I almost forgot, did you lube the whole maxi-ball? Or just the bottom groove? They can get outta balance if you lube that huge top groove. I prefer the maxi-hunters, but they're near impossible to find so you have to find a mould and make your own.
MM
I did lube both grooves. Next time I will try just the bottom one.

Hi 11thCorps I have also the same kit - TC Patriot pistol and the TC Maxi Ball mold but am afraid to shoot it and do damage to the stock. What do you think the permissible load of FFF should be?
Thanks,regards, Nicioli

Hi 11thCorps I have also the same kit - TC Patriot pistol and the TC Maxi Ball mold but am afraid to shoot it and do damage to the stock. What do you think the permissible load of FFF should be?
Thanks,regards, Nicioli
Hi Nicioli
The recoil with 30 grains of 777 seemed to be a reasonable load. No excessive recoil. btw, I shot the same bullet out of the kit gun I show in my attached picture. My guess is 30 grains of FFF should be acceptable. As others have mentioned damage to the stock of this gun probably comes from pounding rounds down the bore, especially when you put the butt against a hard object. These maxi balls slide down easily, no pounding needed.

Hi 11th Corps since I was unable to get a .440 mold I´ll have to use the maxi balls and stick to a max 30 grain load of 3F.
Did you noticed any ill effects to the pistol after using that load ?
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

Hi 11th Corps since I was unable to get a .440 mold I´ll have to use the maxi balls and stick to a max 30 grain load of 3F.
Did you noticed any ill effects to the pistol after using that load ?
Thanks, regards, Nicioli
No. No sign of anything out of the ordinary.

Nicioli
My nephew spent a week in your country on vacation last month. Haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet, but I heard he had a great time.

OK send my regards to him and ask him where he went here.I´m in Rio de Janeiro. regards, Nicioli

Latest posts

Back