I have finally decided.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc-dog

Reaction score
I have wanted to put together a 2 barrel (caliber) combo on one of my T/C Pro Hunters for Noth American hunting. I have the 25-06 barrel scoped, loaded and done.

The second barrel is going to be a 338-06...maybe. Should it be a 338 Federal??? There is no Elk in my future but "Moose" yes.

What do you guys think???

Chocdog

Have a .338 Federal for my T/C Pro Hunter and love it. Manageable recoil with 30-06 ballistics, sounds perfect. Only have range time with it but so far it looks like it'll be my go-to caliber in centerfire. Out of a .270, .270WSM, and .338 Federal the .338 is the one I would choose for all around hunting.

Chuck,

Absolutely....I reload everything except 22LR of course and I would reload 20 gauge slugs if you could get the correct "powder" and loading data.

I have some WW 338-06 cases coming that have been expanded on a 338-06 die with a tapered expander. I got 60 cases for $15.00. The price was so good I bought them anyway with-out my final decision being made yet.

If I go the 338-06 route the barrel will have to come from the T/C custom shop. A 338 Federal chamber "CANNOT" be reamed to 338-06 as per Mike Bellm.

Greg

Greg

I have two calibers in this category, .35 Whelen and .338 Win Mag. I don't know if I'm such a fantastic reloader or what :lol: but BOTH calibers are VERY accurate. It's almost as if I can do no wrong with both calibers. Now if I had to ELIMINATE one...I'd of course keep the .338 Win because I can ALWAYS load it down to your .338/06 levels. Load it up and I can almost shoot ANYTHING! I like the .338 Win Mag!

choc-dog said:
Chuck,
I would reload 20 gauge slugs if you could get the correct "powder" and loading data.

Greg

Greg,

If you are serious about that I know alot of guys that reload slugs. I would be happy to get you some "recipes" if you would like. Just let me know.

JC

JC,

Yes I would. I have kept all of my empty Hornady 20 gauge SST cases.
I explored this about a year ago and the fastest handload I found for the 20 gauge was 1100 FPS. At that slow speed it was not worth the effort.

Hodgon's "longshot" powder should provide faster slug load speeds somewhat comparable to factory speeds but to my knowledge so one has experimented with it.

I also located a supplier for the 20 gauge collets but I have since lost it.

If I cannot get close to 1500 FPS with a 250gr SST bullet I will just continue to buy Factory.

Greg

20 gauge only. If a 250 gr SST can "kill" them with 777 powder the bullet should do the same in a 20 gauge hull.

Greg

choc-dog said:
JC,
If I cannot get close to 1500 FPS with a 250gr SST bullet I will just continue to buy Factory.

Greg

Greg,

Took me a few days to get the info...

From the one gentleman that I know has tested his 20ga handloads pretty extensively, he has been able to push his loads to 2000fps+. (Obviously, those super fast loads were not particularly acccurate.) He stated in his experience that his better loads were all in the 1500-1600fps range. (I do not believe he had the best slug gun. So it is possible a good gun would do as well at slightly higher speeds).

All that being said, here is what he found shot best for him....if you want to speed things up you can work slowly up from here...

JC

"I'm loading the 20ga. with Cheddite hulls, 28gr Blue Dot, CCS gas seal, 4 - 1/8 hard cards, CCS sabot with 300gr. Hornady XTP bullet, seat to 70lbs pressure and roll crimp. Velocity about 1450fps. I've killed deer out to 120yds with this load."

"I've also been loading with the 300gr Hornady SST muzzleloader bullet, shoots about 25fps faster and good accuracy"

JC.

Thanks for the load...Blue dot has been the "go to" powder for magnum velocitys in shotshells until Hodgdon introduced their 'LONGSHOT" shotshell powder.

Hodgdon has some very fast loads with lead shot but no one has worked up loads with the LONGSHOT powder for slugs. The powder should add about 100 to 125 FPS to any load.

Many thanks

Greg

Latest posts

Back