What would you do?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
I have Triumph that shoots very well. Clover leaf patterns at 100 yrds. I have noticed some pitting inside of the barrel.

The question I have is should I send it in to T/C to fix/replace or deal with it for a while? I dont want to send it in and have them replace the barrel and then it wont shoot as well. Am I just paranoid?

taylor
My Triumph shows some slight pitting where sabot and powder meet. It shoots good also. I've decided to keep mine since it doesn't affect accuracy. All I've ever shot is BH out of mine.
Zen

I shot 20 rounds of T7 mag pellets last year and 50-60 rnds of BH209 this year. Very little use and always cleaned after each range session. The pitting on my barrel is on the top side about 2" down from where the sabot sits

All you have ever use was BlackHorn 209 Powder in it?If that is the case,something has gone wrong.Either with the gun are the BH powder.Have you always Clean the Gun and apply a lite coat of Oil?How are you keeping the gun store?
Panhandle said:
taylor
My Triumph shows some slight pitting where sabot and powder meet. It shoots good also. I've decided to keep mine since it doesn't affect accuracy. All I've ever shot is BH out of mine.
Zen

I think it's just some type of tooling marks from when the barrel was made... I have noticed it in most of the TC's I have owned.

Yes I always clean after each range session. I had HJBUYS look at it too and he thinks its pitting as well

Did someone ever check other T/C muzzleloader models for pitting with BH209?
Taureau noir

I think a good question to ask here is, do you get a rust color on a patch?

We all went in together on a new CVA Wolf and Big6x6 did an extensive corrosion test with BH209. Just couldn't be that.

how about your breech plug, is it OK?

I had a barrel a while back that i bought used with some pitting in the breech end. This was clearly neglect because the breech plug was pitted as well. It shot 1" groups but drove me nuts just knowing about the rough spot so I sold it cheap with full disclosure of the condition. Been kicking myself ever since. :( I would agree with the folks who said keep it and keep an eye on it as long as it's a shooter. I wonder if you didn't get moisture in the barrel trapped around or under the sabot or bullet like mine did. It is easy to get moisture in past a Powerbelt and possibly other full bore projeciles - just drive one in without the breech plug (or powder) and shine a light in the muzzle.

I'm not trying to raise ****,just asking question in relation to the thread.Could be nothing or could be either a barrel quality or powder problem.
Taureau noir

I thought I had pitting as well in my Omega right at the sabot/powder junction with BH209. I took a bronze brush and put it in my drill and let it rotate fast for 30 seconds or so with Hoppes. Presto, no more pitting! I think it is a hard carbon buildup on the inside of the bore.

taureau noir, sorry ... I thought you were making a pretty good joke with that CVA barrel question. 8)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think pitting is covered under T/C's replacement warranty. They would most likely say the pitting is due to neglect, same as if your barrel rusted and pitted on the outside. Besides, if its not causing accuracy problems I would leave it be, just make sure to keep a good rust inhibitor in that bore.
Try Ballistol...I dont have a link handy for it but I have been using it for about 5 years now and I have no issues with rust at all anymore, the stuff is great. Its a dang good patch lube if you shoot a patched round ball in a sidelock or flinter also.

vabowhntr said:
I thought I had pitting as well in my Omega right at the sabot/powder junction with BH209. I took a bronze brush and put it in my drill and let it rotate fast for 30 seconds or so with Hoppes. Presto, no more pitting! I think it is a hard carbon buildup on the inside of the bore.

Excellent point considering the use of BH209!!!! Great solution too :wink:
I had hard carbon in the breech of my Omega after shooting a couple tubs that was a bear to scrape out with a popsicle stick, my solvents didn't touch it. My bore is lapped mirror smooth so it doesn't stick there but on a new rifle??? I may have to polish the breech area and face now.

A few tool marks in that area on a cut rifled TC is not uncommon mine had them till I lapped it. Lee

I took the gun into a local gunsmith and he said it was definatly pitting. I asked him what he would do and he said not to worry about until I saw changes in accuracy or the pitting getting bigger.

Again, I want to stress that I have never left the bore uncleaned for longer than a few hours from the time to get home from the range. Even when hunting I would clean if I made a shot and missed and had to go back out the next day. I consider myself to be OCD when it comes to cleaning my guns especially the Triupmh.

I will try a few of the suggestions y'all have offered

Latest posts

Back