G2 and BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, clean up whas no different with BH, T7 or pinnacle.
I soak overnight with solvent .
Tim

big6x6 said:
I've shot seven bottles of Blackhorn 209 in two Triumphs, one Pursuit II XLT, one Omega, one 10ML-II, one Disc Extreme, one Disc Elite, and one KRB(is that ALL? :lol: ) I have seen nothing that even starts to look like abnormal breechplug wear/erosion. Both of the Triumphs have seen a LOT of BH209 use and the Pursuit II and Disc Extreme have probably seen more use than the average hunter will EVER shoot. Will the flash hole wear more quickly than with Triple Se7en? PROBABLY! If I have to replace it every 150-200 shots..WHO CARES?

Cleaning the breechplug... Well BH209 certainly isn't water soluble but I have not had the cleanup issues some have had. Soak the breechplug in Hoppes #9 or spray it with one of the foaming bore cleaners...maybe use a kitchen scouring pad...clean up in about two minutes.

And to the peanut gallery that makes comments about products they have NEVER USED and have ZERO first hand knowledge.....GEEESSSSHHH!

+1 :D Even if i need to replace a breech plug now and then the BH 209 powder is still worth using to me !!! :D I just ordered two extra breech plugs for my encore and will rotate them as i did using pyrodex in my tradition pursuit pro . I have used over two bottles of Bh and my Breech plug is showing just a little wear . :D

Gas cutting can happen with anything. Cracks bother me ALOT! :shock:

I haven't tried BH209,,,and probably won't. (at least for now.. :roll: :lol: ) Tomorrow may be an exception,,hell,,,who knows. Swiss just smells sooooo good..

:lol:

I don't think pics of breechplugs were posted to slam one product over another,,but rather to INFORM folks of what is happening,,and what to look for. I look at it like this:

BH209 hasn't been out that long, and as humans,,,we tend to be skeptical. If shooters are seeing something that wanders off the normal path,,,,we post the information to "pool knowlege" and keep each other safe. 8)

That is a GOOD THING! :wink:

I am also a devout White shooter. My Whites are the best at what they were designed to do. They shoot big fat conicals, and shoot them very well with black powder, and the black subs.

Can they match the performance of today's sabot shooting guns?? Close,,but no cigar,,,,and that's just from my experience. Are they as clean?? No way. But I have learned to accept it,,and to deal with it.

Hell,,,I was cleaning my White on the porch at our hog hunt,,while Chuck was on his way in to devour some good food one evening as I remember correctly. :wink: :lol:

But that's part of the muzzleloading game. :wink:

I think we all need to soak in all the information that's posted in regards to other's experiences. What works for me,,may not work for you,,,and vice versa.

Shoot what ya got. But like Chuck said,,,,don't jump to conclusions if you've never tried it. And that works both ways. 8)

I don't think pics of breechplugs were posted to slam one product over another,,but rather to INFORM folks of what is happening,,and what to look for. I look at it like this:

BH209 hasn't been out that long, and as humans,,,we tend to be skeptical. If shooters are seeing something that wanders off the normal path,,,,we post the information to "pool knowlege" and keep each other safe.

I agree 100%! ANY new product should be viewed with a certain amount of skepticism.. I guess in the Blackhorn 209 instance...I am less skeptical than I might normally be because I am so appreciative of its good aspects. I know the pressure physics are very similar to Triple Se7en. I also know that Western Powders uses a CVA breechplug in their pressure barrel! :shock: :lol:

Excellent post batchief. I know after reading about these breechplug issues I will be looking mine over a lot closer no matter what powder I am shooting.
Art

Sorry if anyone took my observations personally but what I posted is exactly what I saw and experienced. To me this was something new and unexpected. I've owned the G2 for quite some time and had a few Encores along the way. When I say I had never seen a TC plug with markings such as this one has after one session with BH209, believe it.

My KP1's first plug did somewhat resemble the G2 plug after a couple of outings - but that was because the exposed magnet was shattered (and no BH209 was involved). Knight has since redesigned the KP1 plug to protect the magnet with a stainless insert.

Perhaps rifle manufacturers needs to redesign their breech plugs to accomodate the new powder's characteristics, but I rather suspect the rifle makers will take a different approach. It will be interesting to see what load recommendations actually come from the various manufacturers of the rifles themselves.

Is anyone aware of such data that is already available?

Sorry if anyone took my observations personally but what I posted is exactly what I saw and experienced.

Hell you didn't offend me! If you offend me I'll just send you some sabots! :D THAT'LL teach you!

big6x6 said:
Sorry if anyone took my observations personally but what I posted is exactly what I saw and experienced.

Hell you didn't offend me! If you offend me I'll just send you some sabots! :D THAT'LL teach you!

Dang!! What a SPANKING!! :lol: :wink:

UC,

I can honestly say I have not seen any gas cutting in my breech plugs yet. I do know that I have seen pics of T/C breech plugs that look like that in the past, well before BH209 was ever around.

I would definately say that is gas cutting, in your example. The cracks on that CVA breech plug are not gas cutting, they are cracks. I will say that my plugs that I have shot BH209 out of have a slightly different hue to their color. They appear a little darker (grayer) looking.

Remember there were a couple pics of Savage plugs that showed some gas cutting on the face.

What all this means? I don't know, but I will keep my eyes open for anything as I do when using anything new, as anyone should.

Gas cutting is directly related to heat, time, and pressure. I think some of the material in plugs is much softer than others, and that could be from one run of plugs to the next.

Gees!!!!

I am glad this thread has cooled down a bit.... thought it was getting so hot it would knock the site of the air again...

Do not let UC fool ya hez shoots dem polymere thangs a lot mo dan hez letz on... hez jis tryen to kept up hiz DWB image...

Gees!!!!

I am glad this thread has cooled down a bit.... thought it was getting so hot it would knock the site of the air again...

Good thing I came along! :lol: :lol:

I have put 6 pounds of BH through the Triumph and cant find any sigh of gas cutting that looks more like tool chatter to me anyhow but what a person can tell with a picture over the internet when the quality is linited is questionable. Lee

sabotloader said:
Gees!!!!

Do not let UC fool ya hez shoots dem polymere thangs a lot mo dan hez letz on... hez jis tryen to kept up hiz DWB image...

An' he only shoots lak once every ten years er so...... :lol: :shock: :wink:

ah say'd shuddup! :D

mipemt.jpg

Even with a dental pic and a magnifying glass, I couldn't tell with certainty if those marks were actually cracks or just gas cutting. So I broke out the Dremel and ground the area down. Seemed to me that cracks would surely have more depth than gas cuts and I think the pics show the marks did pretty much disappear. Interpret for yourselves.

Latest posts

Back