G2 and BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
I went out while ago and shot a few rounds from my G2 using BH209. I just had teflon tape on the breech plug. Shot a few rounds with some 200 grain XTPs in old brown Knight branded sabots. Those were a bear to load but I managed to get the rifle adjusted up near the bull at 100. Shot a few rounds at 90 grains by volume and just 1 at 100 grains by volume. 100 grains caused my thumb on my trigger hand to get in a fight with my nose, so I went back down to 90 grains.

Switched to the same charge under some 200 grain Shockwaves. Those shot to about the same location as the XTPs but neither of the 200 grainers was giving me very good results.

Had put a Simms pad on that rifle since I had last shot it and I can tell there is an obvious difference in recoil but the rifle is still a little hard to handle, being so small. Had a bulk box of 275 grain PowerBelts that I bought a long time ago, so I went to the heavier bullet but reduced the charge to 80 grains by volume. Left the rifle sighted 2" high at 100 yards with those PowerBelts, the last three of those in a 1.9" group. Not remarkable even for that rifle with its small scope, but maybe not so bad considering how little I've shot recently.

Fired one last round, a 260 grain PRBullet QT knurled conical, fully expecting a hang-fire. Nope, fired just fine.

The BH209 has a different sort of kick, it seems quicker and more like a centerfire. Cleanup of the barrel was easy and I didn't need to break the rifle down as there was very little blowback making its way to the frame. The breech plug is another story... I spent as much time cleaning that plug as I would normally spend cleaning a White rifle entirely. Alcohol, brake cleaner, 624 cleaner, Ballistol, and WD-40 were all employed during the cleaning. I used a toothbrush, a copper wire brush, a steel wire brush, pipe cleaners, patches, and drill bits to work on that plug, finally getting it to a passable state of cleanliness. A final alcohol flush and then blasted dry with air - the plug was given a bit extra teflon tape on the threads and re-installed. I used a double wrap at the forward threads on the plug rather than the single wrap I normally would use. The reason for that was, when I first removed the dirty plug, ALL the teflon tape had been driven back to the flange that sits behind the threads on a G2 plug. It looked like a single pink o-ring.

As I was cleaning the breech plug I noticed some odd new markings inside the primer cup. Someone please splain this to me, my eyes aren't good enough to understand what I'm seeing.
21dr7ll.jpg
A new plug and one that I've shot several rounds using T7 both look smooth there around the flame channel.

Ah'm sorta fallin out luv wit dis stuff.

49G2Millett1.jpg

My breech plug is doing the same thing , but i have shot two tubs of BH in my Encore , but mine is not as bad as yours . :?

UtahRob said:
My breech plug is doing the same thing , but i have shot two tubs of BH in my Encore , but mine is not as bad as yours . :?

Never mind !!

I just removed the breech plug from my son's omega( never used BH209 ) and it has the same marks as mine , :shock: :?

Might give the RemOil in the aerosol can a try...

I've shot 2 cans of BH209 and just spray the plug with the RemOil and let it sit while I swab out the barrel with the same. 3-4 patches and the barrel is clean then reuse the last couple patches to wipe off the plug and it's clean. I do use a drill to clean the flash channel because of the hard deposit. Never tried any of the other stuff you guys have mentioned but then never saw the need.
Let me warn you about my 1st cleaning :x . I soaked the Omega plug in rubbing alcohol overnite to soften the deposit and was greeted with a rusty mess the next evening. IPA is pretty corrosive stuff expecially in a tin can where a galvanic reaction can take place. I would caution everyone to always follow alcohol cleaning with a good oil coating, but you all know that. :lol:

I did notice, you did not clean the plug with Hoppe's. That would make clean up a snap. Atleast in three Knights and two T/C's.

There has been one breech plug posted with serious cracks in the face of the plug, now my G2 plug shows these strange cracks in the primer pocket. Unlike Rob, my older G2 plug (one that has been used for far more shots than this one) plus a new one do NOT show these same marks.

To dismiss such things in a flippant manner is hardly wise, whether it turns out to be a non-issue or not.

Have you been drinking? I did not use Hoppe's but I did use 99% alcohol for my first effort - Lemoyne has stated that alcohol works well and it seemed to do a good job on the KP1 plug. I don't know why this G2 plug was so much more difficult.

Why are you so defensive, Mr. Administrator. All what time? I said it took me longer to clean that plug than it took to clean a White rifle entirely. That is not a very long time.

Do you think I bought 5 containers of this powder to diss it?

Underclocked said:
Why are you so defensive, Mr. Administrator. All what time? I said it took me longer to clean that plug than it took to clean a White rifle entirely. That is not a very long time.

Do you think I bought 5 containers of this powder to diss it?

Read the bottle and follow the directions. You will be just fine.

This is my sons breech plug from in his omega and shows some of the same signs as yours but he NEVER has used BH209 . My breech plug has one small mark.. To me it looks like the flame from the powder or primer has eroded the breech plug and not cracks . This gun has only been shot around 40 times, using pyrodex and Klean bore primers .

DSCN0069.jpg

I've shot seven bottles of Blackhorn 209 in two Triumphs, one Pursuit II XLT, one Omega, one 10ML-II, one Disc Extreme, one Disc Elite, and one KRB(is that ALL? :lol: ) I have seen nothing that even starts to look like abnormal breechplug wear/erosion. Both of the Triumphs have seen a LOT of BH209 use and the Pursuit II and Disc Extreme have probably seen more use than the average hunter will EVER shoot. Will the flash hole wear more quickly than with Triple Se7en? PROBABLY! If I have to replace it every 150-200 shots..WHO CARES?

Cleaning the breechplug... Well BH209 certainly isn't water soluble but I have not had the cleanup issues some have had. Soak the breechplug in Hoppes #9 or spray it with one of the foaming bore cleaners...maybe use a kitchen scouring pad...clean up in about two minutes.

And to the peanut gallery that makes comments about products they have NEVER USED and have ZERO first hand knowledge.....GEEESSSSHHH!

My omega breech plug showed similar erosion marks after 250+ shots

with T7 and pinnacle. Used 209 and small rifle primers.
New plug after 3/4 jug of BH shows no damage with cci and win. 209s.
Stainless steel is tough but soft and brittle, I think that is where the problem is.
With this non corrosize powder it is time for a barrel steel breech plug,
if they make one I'm a buyer.
Tim

Back