FIRST ATTEMPT SMOKELESS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less recoil, more velocity, and more accurate.

That's about all you can ask from a load.

cvilorio said:
FrontierGander said:
Does it matter which powder you pour down first?
It really does not matter, since I have done it both ways, but you want the faster burning powder first and them the slower burning. What this does is help light the main charge faster, and it actually reduces recoil and it increases velocity, and it helps with accuracy. I get more recoil out of a straight charge of 60 gr. of 4198, and less speed than a duplex of 10 gr. 4759 and 50 gr. of 4198, which gives me less recoil and more speed. The 4759 being the booster.
Greg did not mean to hijack your thread.
Carlos
 No prob here my friend. You can make any comment you want. I dumped the 4759 first & the topped with the 4198 & it worked perfectly. Less recoil than 110gr of BH209, that is for sure & it seems to be a faster crisper "shove" type of recoil. I am already hooked!

Thanks for sharing Greg, but you are not making it easy on me. I'm torn between a H&R stainless 45-70 or Apex setup like yours. I've also been working the 700ml route but can't find a donor. I should probably go break action first and then work on a 700 conversion.

The only reason I don't sell my Savage MLII-10 is paranoia. I figure the government will eventually make a gun grab and "muzzleloaders" may be way down the list. If not for that, I'd get rid of it.
I almost hate it when compared to every other gun I have, black powder or smokeless. It's too barrel-heavy, crappy plastic stock, really tight bore (maybe under.500), and absolutely useless. It won't do anything better than my other black powder guns will do with black powder and is vastly inferior to any centerfire I have.

"Like tits on a bull."

biddler2 said:
Thanks for sharing Greg, but you are not making it easy on me. I'm torn between a H&R stainless 45-70 or Apex setup like yours. I've also been working the 700ml route but can't find a donor. I should probably go break action first and then work on a 700 conversion.
I can make it worse  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  I can go thru my emails, but someone was selling 3 new APEX receiver assemblies, you'd just need a barrel & a forearm

GregK, did you use any kind of wad between the charge and the TEZ?

Yes, a dry wad. Not sure on the thickness. I order them from Track of the Wolf & they are the only 50 cal dry wad they offer

A local shop has the H&R thumbhole stainless but price is high (500). Buds has an Apex SS for slightly more. I'd love to go through Carlos but I never have the money when he's selling. Hopefully things will come together before season starts. If not my LDR will work out to 200.

biddler2 said:
A local shop has the H&R thumbhole stainless but price is high (500). Buds has an Apex SS for slightly more. I'd love to go through Carlos but I never have the money when he's selling. Hopefully things will come together before season starts. If not my LDR will work out to 200.
You can get a APEX 45/70 SS black for 480.00 :twisted:  :twisted:  Then sent it to slufoot which I think he charges 100.00 (correct me if I'm wrong on that one Greg) and get a BP from PR., and you are all set to go. this would be a lot better set up than the H&R and you can still change barrels on it. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Carlos

That is right Carlos. I also bought the collapsible ramrod from Slufoot & the insurance for shipping & I think it was 135.00. Have to say that I love that ramrod too. His quality is excellent & I am very very happy with everything. I'm still amazed at the accuracy right out of the gate!

Greg did you get the bushing or vent liner plug?  I felt like the Apex was the better platform but was looking at options. I like the possibilities of the 700 builds but not sure I like the weights for hunting. I think I can do what I need with the Apex.

biddler2 said:
Greg did you get the bushing or vent liner plug?  I felt like the Apex was the better platform but was looking at options. I like the possibilities of the 700 builds but not sure I like the weights for hunting. I think I can do what I need with the Apex.
I looked at both & then discussed it with Carlos. I went with the vent liner style & am very happy with it.

Forum has been pretty slow lately so I'll ask instead of pm. Why not go with the bushing system. I have never used vent liners but from what I have read they don't last long and the accuracy falls off. The bushing setup isn't cheap but if you can get 300+ shots without issue it seems cheaper in the long run. 
I'm pretty sure I'm going the Apex route to start. I'll use slufoot for the conversion and on your recommendation I'll pick up one of his ramrods.

biddler2 said:
Forum has been pretty slow lately so I'll ask instead of pm. Why not go with the bushing system. I have never used vent liners but from what I have read they don't last long and the accuracy falls off. The bushing setup isn't cheap but if you can get 300+ shots without issue it seems cheaper in the long run. 
I'm pretty sure I'm going the Apex route to start. I'll use slufoot for the conversion and on your recommendation I'll pick up one of his ramrods.
My understanding is that the bushing style system has to be fitted to your barrel each time you wear one out which means sending it back to slufoot each time.. It's your choice of course, but both Robert & Carlos recommended going with the vent liners over the bushing so that is what I did.

I didn't know that about the bushing system. I thought it had a removable cap and you just put a new one in if it wore out. I'm still new to sml so I may have missed something. If Slufoot and Carlos recommend the vent liner than I have nothing to worry about. Thank you for sharing your information.

Back