Smokeless Omega draws blood the first time out.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was finally able to get out and hunt our “Alternative“ Deer season today. After all the Christmas activities yesterday there was no way I was going to make it out early. So I took a walk into the woods around 11am this morning with my Woodman Smokeless converted Omega. I jumped a doe that was bedded down under a cedar tree close to my stand and scared the crap out of me. I was sitting over an acre of clover that fortunately is still thriving.

The hours drug on without even seeing a squirrel, which is very odd. The wind had picked up and nothing was moving even though a front was pushing in. About 4:20pm the wind finally died down with a little under and hour of shooting light left. After the wind died down the woods came to life at least for the squirrels. I checked my phone at 4:55pm, my buddy was wanting to know if I had seen anything. As I put my phone down, I caught some movement about 60 yards out in some tall grass.

I grabbed my binoculars and spotted the 7pt basket rack buck coming out of the grass and into the clover. He wasn’t a wall hanger, but that didn’t matter to me, I was hunting for meat. A small set of antlers was a bonus as I have never shot a buck before, only does. He was moving from my left to right and was in no particular hurry to exit the clover. A broadside boiler house shot at 60 yards was a chip shot. He jumped about 4’ in the air and bolted straight away from me. He stopped after about 30 yards and fell over behind a tree and breathed his last.

The load was 32g of N110 under a 195g Barnes Expander in a LBHS and it did the trick. Complete pass thru and left a very nice 30 yard blood trail. This was my first muzzleloader kill and hopefully not my last.

IMG_6111.jpegIMG_6110.jpeg

So I was finally able to get out and hunt our “Alternative“ Deer season today. After all the Christmas activities yesterday there was no way I was going to make it out early. So I took a walk into the woods around 11am this morning with my Woodman Smokeless converted Omega. I jumped a doe that was bedded down under a cedar tree close to my stand and scared the crap out of me. I was sitting over an acre of clover that fortunately is still thriving.

The hours drug on without even seeing a squirrel, which is very odd. The wind had picked up and nothing was moving even though a front was pushing in. About 4:20pm the wind finally died down with a little under and hour of shooting light left. After the wind died down the woods came to life at least for the squirrels. I checked my phone at 4:55pm, my buddy was wanting to know if I had seen anything. As I put my phone down, I caught some movement about 60 yards out in some tall grass.

I grabbed my binoculars and spotted the 7pt basket rack buck coming out of the grass and into the clover. He wasn’t a wall hanger, but that didn’t matter to me, I was hunting for meat. A small set of antlers was a bonus as I have never shot a buck before, only does. He was moving from my left to right and was in no particular hurry to exit the clover. A broadside boiler house shot at 60 yards was a chip shot. He jumped about 4’ in the air and bolted straight away from me. He stopped after about 30 yards and fell over behind a tree and breathed his last.

The load was 32g of N110 under a 195g Barnes Expander in a LBHS and it did the trick. Complete pass thru and left a very nice 30 yard blood trail. This was my first muzzleloader kill and hopefully not my last.

View attachment 40004View attachment 40003
Nice buck, well done, congrats. I'm shooting the exact same load & super happy with it.

View attachment 40004View attachment 40003
Congratulations on your first buck!!!! That buck will make fine venison!!!

Latest posts

Back