Experiment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Time for my muley buck hunt is getting close and I don't have a conical yet. I used the Thor sizing pack and a .500 was a really tight fit but I liked that when using BH. So, I took a chance and ordered a couple of packs of .500. I was hoping the quality control had gotten better with the new owner. It hasn't and I couldn't get one down the bore. I don't have a mic and couldn't check how far off they were but not being able to even get one started tells me they aren't close. So, I sent them back. Hunter at Muzzle-Loaders is a good guy and took them back with no questions. They're about to be delivered and I need to make a choice to what i'm going to get to replace them.

A little history. I've bought a lot of inlines and shot a lot of different bullets out of them. I've never hunted with an inline though. As the season got close I couldn't do it and went back to a sidelock and a PRB. That won't happen this year. I'm staying with the CVA MR I bought because I really need the scope now. My vision won't allow me to use open sights anymore and I won't put a scope on a sidelock.

So, i'm going to do something that I never thought I would. I'm going to use a Powerbelt. I know it will load well and be accurate in a CVA. Those are good positive points. The terminal performance is in question but I believe a lot of the failures are bad shots and pushing them too fast. At least that's what i'm hoping. To keep recoil down for my old bones i'm going to use an Aerolite 250gr and 70gr of BH. I'll keep my max distance at 100yds. I'll only take a double lung shot and avoid any shoulder shots.

I need to find out if the PB's work myself. I'm hoping for the best.

I've used them in a encore and never had any problem with them. I use sabots now but I'm on the east coast in MD so I can. My nephew killed a big 12 point last year using them.

Muley-hunter, I have CVA Acura mountain rifle also,, I would try furys 50 cal, he has three sizes for 50 cal and Dennis will work with you,, they shot very well in my CVA Acuras in three different rifles,, I think it's a 275 and a 325 grain . I don't think you'll have quality control issues

An adjustable sizing die is a good investment when shooting bore size bullets. I'm sure someone makes one for 50cal.

Thanks, guys but my mind is made up to use the Aerolites. Besides they're ordered already. I don't want to be rushed before the hunt with doing something new. I just want to sight in and then concentrate on scouting and the hunt.

If I can get a shot at a buck this year and I don't like how the PB performed. I'll look at the Fury bullets for next year. They do look nice.

Just for laughs when I took the dog for his daily mountain hike. I took the gun and tried a load of Goex 3F to see if I could get a 2nd PB down without swabbing.

The Goex had a milder recoil but that was probably due to the lower velocity. Getting a 2nd PB down without swabbing almost got the bullet stuck. I'll be sticking to BH. Not that i've needed a 2nd shot on game but bears key in on gunshots and a big boar will come check out a free meal. It's best to have the gun loaded and I don't want to be fiddling with swabbing.

Stuck bullet plus bear equals billy club and run,, I think I stick with black horn too

Latest posts

Back