Encore and Barnes Ballistics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
Buddy of mine was sighting in his Encore yesterday with the 300g Barnes Expanders and 2-50gr 777 pellets. Was dead on at 50 yds and 4" low at 100. Does this sound correct? Cant find my notes for the same load in my Optima. The pellets are left over from last year so the may be some degradation of power. Thanks

I would have expected 2.5 to 3 inhes. low with the "0" at 50yds

That would somewhat equate to 2" high at 50 and dead zero at 100 - sort of makes sense to me.

That seems a bit low to me as well. I would have expected 2" drop or less. My experience with saboted muzzy bullets has been that there is usually very little drop from 50 to 100 yards, even with non-magnum loads ( I know this is not always the case with PRB ). Now from 100 to 150 yards is a different story....

without a chrony it very well could be if the speed was substantially lower due to older powder.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorta what I was thinking as well. 2" difference seems more like what I would expect.

According to a ballistic calculator I use, and using published data for that load, you would be about -3.1 inches low at 100 yds with a 50 yd zero. Of course, the actual muzzle velocity, elevation, and temperature will all affect this data, not to mention shooting technique.

Latest posts

Back