Dumbest thing ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Whats the dumbest thing you have done while hunting with your muzzy ??

I left my truck in a hurry and when in finally had the chance to shoot a bull ( last day of the hunt ) i pulled the hammer back, pulled the trigger and CLICK , i forgot to put a primer in
I sat on the ground with my gun sitting on a log for two hrs watching this trail and just before dark this bull comes walking down the trail and stops at 60 yards . CLICK NO KABOOOOM !!! I was not all that upset and started laughing because my son did that two years ago and boy did i rib him . But he did that opening morning and shot a bull two days latter . :roll: Well thats my big BOOBOO !! :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sold ones that i should have kept :? i am missing that x-150 and the .54 mountain rifle flintlock.

Last Sunday, my last chance to ML hunt for the season, dosed off about 4pm. At 4:15 had a nice buck snorting at me from 20 yds. 2 jumps and he was gone. No time to react for a shoot. All I could do was laugh.

frontier gander said:
Sold ones that i should have kept :? i am missing that x-150 and the .54 mountain rifle flintlock.

I almost alway regret it when i sell a gun . When i was around 18- 20 years old i had two Rugger #1 , one in 25-06 and a 257 roberts . Man i wish i had them know .

4 years ago i was living in Ccalifornia and i could not even hunt Elk , so i am very thankful to live in a area where they are 30 minutes from my home . On days when i don't see any, i keep reminding my self of that and just sit back and enjoy being able to hunt them . Success or not its great being able to get out and enjoy myself . I use to put a lot of pressure on my self being successful , not anymore . :D So far this year Deer zero , Elk zero , duck zero , good time 100% . :D

I shot a sappling right in front of my muzzle instead of a deer that was about 10 feet away. It ran about 20 feet and waited until I was almost reloaded before it ran off.

Swampman said:
I shot a sappling right in front of my muzzle instead of a deer that was about 10 feet away. It ran about 20 feet and waited until I was almost reloaded before it ran off.

Get this , i did that same thing the morning i forgot to put the primer in . I had a spike at 40 yards and was standing on my toes so i COULD clear the saplings and took a shot . I hit a sapling 15-20 feet in front of me . He stood there looking around as i fumbled to reload but left just as i put a primer in . I could live with that , but not putting a primer in was something else !! :oops: :oops: so i had two chances on my last day :D

UtahRob said:
frontier gander said:

I almost alway regret it when i sell a gun . When i was around 18- 20 years old i had two Rugger #1 , one in 25-06 and a 257 roberts . Man i wish i had them know .

I know what you mean. When I was about 22, I bought a Ruger No. 1-V in .25-06 that I called AT&T because you could reach out and touch someone with it. :) It hated factory loads, but I worked up a couple of handloads that would shoot under .5 at 100 yards. Killed a crow at 304 paces with it. Wish I still had it. Why did you have to mention Ruger No. 1? :?: :D

forgot to put the breech plug back in. I was at the range so I had lots of witnesses. Didn't realize it until I tried to cap the darn thing and there were two pellets of pyro staring me in the face. :roll:

Latest posts

Back