Deposit Down for a NULA Have Questions!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danjr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a first time poster but have followed this board for quite a while and read up on all the posts in regards to the NULA. I have placed a $500 deposit with Melvin and have a number of questions that I hope you all can help me with. Thank you in advance and I am excited to enter the smokeless ml world.

-First I have decided on a matte finish and really like the green black web stocked NULA based on the pictures of Big 6X6's gun that I saw posted on the board. Chuck do you remember what color you specified to Melvin when ordering? Sorry to copy you but I like the looks of that gun. :oops: Thanks!

-Second it looks like the go to powder is sr-4759 in a range of 42-44 gains with a 250 or 275gr Parker BE. I will start my load development with this powder first. I have limited access to VV N110 because I am in Rochester, NY Do you have any other recommended powders that I should purchase? Also please recommend Bullets as well. I assume that the 250 and 300 bonded SW will do. But are there others? Would you be so kind to recommend matching sabots with bullets? I have seen HPH12 and the harvester but I am not sure of the type of harvester or the order number. Thanks again!

Lastly, and I apologized for being so long winded. I plan to purchase a RCBS rock rest and a sand bag for the back. Do you have any shooting tips or hand positioning for this rifle based on the fact that it is so light. I am used to shooting heavy rifles.

Any other recommendations are welcome. As for glass I plan to match the gun with a Vari XIII 3.5X10 40mm. Thanks for your help guys!

Take care,

Dan

Caledonia, NY

The scope is a great choice. 4759 is the choice powder for Big6x6 and me as well. The other powders shoot very well to. I prefer the 275grn parker BE with a harvester sabot. 6x6 might use a short black mmp???? You will be very happy with your purchase. :)

Welcome to the board.

NULA

I also have a deposit sent to Melvin for a Nula, how many others on here have one ordered? Just curious is all.
I am thinking of a Vari-x111 or a Zeiss what are some thoughts on a scope?
Thanks for all the info available on this sight.
Dogmanes

Hi Tom,

Thanks! You guys are a knowledgeable bunch for sure. :prayer: Just curious do you use the stock sabot with the 275? Also how many grains of 4759? Thanks again it's good to be here!

Take care,

Dan

Caledonia, NY

I have a NULA on order also, I just talked to Mel on Thrs of this week, I ordered mine in mid Oct of 07, Mel told me that they are now working on bolt parts now and they are making enougth for all of his current orders, I have not decided on a stock finish yet but I know that I want a camo stock. I hope to get my rifle by mid April, I am also going to stop by Mel's shop soon, I am going to NC to see some friends, Mel said that anyone was welcome to stop and see his operatioon.Don

danjr said:
Just curious do you use the stock sabot with the 275? Also how many grains of 4759?

I do not use the supplied sabot. I use the harvester sabot in my ULA. 42grns is plenty of powder with the 275 BE. I use 44grns :)

Sabots001.jpg

I ordered one from Melvin and got everything I didn't order, then was asked if I could wait till after hunting season to send it back, Yeah right. I sold it without ever firing a shot out of it.
For Instance, ordered a left hand stock, got a right hand, ordered black with white webbing, it came black, ordered a Stainless, sent me a blued model, because he had 3 stainless models bulge. Other than that the gun was perfect.
I'm done with all the customs, I've had a HenryBall, Nula, and 4 Ml2s, which is still the best smokeless for my money.
Jeff~

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Not good..... sorry you had an issue.

Has anyone else here had any issues with the NULA ML? From all I have read it has been nothing but positive which helped me make the decision to go forward. Also my conversation with Melvin was also very reassuring. Just curious as it is a large investment, thanks!

Take care,

Dan

Caledonia, NY

danjr, It's pretty hard to make everyone happy. If i needed another Smokeless ML, i would order another ULA without a doubt.

Well the story from Jeff's "Typical 10" continues.
I bought Jeff's as soon as he recieved it from NULA, unfired. I noticed that the extractor was missing from the bolt. After calling Mel, he informed me that the parts were in the Rifle when he sent it out to Jeff and reminded me that I had bought a "Used Rifle". At that point, I offered to pay to have the parts installed and I sent the bolt back to Mel have the missing parts installed. Mel sent me the bolt back with the missing parts at no charge.
When I attempted to shoot it, I could not get a primer out of the breech plug, the rifle would not zero, & the ramrod fell out when you tipped it down. Mel than had me sent the rifle back down to him. In the end he replaced the breech plug, the scope mounts, repaired the ramrod issue & shortened the stock for me, all at No Charge. I called him & asked him what I owed him for shortening the stock, since I wanted to pay for that since that was too long, but he refused to give me the cost.
Again bear in mind I did buy a Used Rifle from Jeff, even though it was unfired. In the end I feel Mel treated me right. I just think he sent the rifle out without test firing it and he was probably rushed with all the backlog he has. I also do NOT think Jeff had anything to do with any of these issues, since he sold me an Unfired rifle.
I still haven't had a chance to resight in the rifle, but I look forward to hunting with it next year.

Grouse said:
danjr, It's pretty hard to make everyone happy. If i needed another Smokeless ML, i would order another ULA without a doubt.

I would think it's pretty hard to screw a order up that bad and then have the nerve to ask the customer to wait till hunting season is over.
Jeff~

That Muzzleloader had to be made on friday. :) I'm very surprised Melvin stood behind it the way he did. I guess thats good news. Once typical10 sold it, it is considered used.

Grouse said:
That Muzzleloader had to be made on friday. :) I'm very surprised Melvin stood behind it the way he did. I guess thats good news. Once typical10 sold it, it is considered used.

Once a rifle is fired it is used, otherwise any gun is considered NIB, on this side of the MIssissippi.
I suppose you would argue that with gun dealers to. Once they buy them from the distributor, there used? Whatever~

typical10 said:
Grouse said:
I suppose you would argue that with gun dealers to. Once they buy them from the distributor, there used? Whatever~

I understand your problems with melvin. I'm just saying thats far from the norm. My Hb Savage was a great Muzzleloader, and a great shooter. A guy on this board bought it. It in no way even compares to a ULA. As you already stated, the Savage is pretty hard to beat for the money.

-First I have decided on a matte finish and really like the green black web stocked NULA based on the pictures of Big 6X6's gun that I saw posted on the board. Chuck do you remember what color you specified to Melvin when ordering? Sorry to copy you but I like the looks of that gun. Thanks!

I really have NO idea! :oops: Here is a pic of both of my NULAs..

2006rangepics%20326.jpg

As far as what load to use...I would certainly start with a 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme and 42gr SR-4759. A MMP short black comes with the Parker and it is usually fine but you can try the Harvester too. Use the CCI 209 primers BTW.

Hold the NULA VERY tight when shooting.

I ordered one from Melvin and got everything I didn't order, then was asked if I could wait till after hunting season to send it back, Yeah right. I sold it without ever firing a shot out of it.
For Instance, ordered a left hand stock, got a right hand, ordered black with white webbing, it came black, ordered a Stainless, sent me a blued model, because he had 3 stainless models bulge. Other than that the gun was perfect.
I'm done with all the customs, I've had a HenryBall, Nula, and 4 Ml2s, which is still the best smokeless for my money.
Jeff~

No doubt Melvin should have corrected your gun IMMEDIATELY! It was stupid not to! :?

I also have a deposit sent to Melvin for a Nula, how many others on here have one ordered? Just curious is all.
I am thinking of a Vari-x111 or a Zeiss what are some thoughts on a scope?
Thanks for all the info available on this sight.
Dogmanes

I have used a VX-III 2.5-8 and it has been a GREAT scope for that rifle. Tom uses a VX-III 3.5-10X40 and that works out great for him and I certainly see nothing wrong with a Zeiss Conquest.

danjr

How long of a wait did Mel give you. I am waiting a week and a half shy of 11 months and still no ULA. I was told 6 months when i ordered.

Ohboy,

Wow 11 months. I was told 6-9 for mine. I am hoping that is it not more than 9 becuase I would like to work a load up in sept and oct for the slug gun season here in western NY. Keep me posted when you get your gun. Glad to see that there are many other people here that can give their feedback.

Chuck and Tom... Thanks for the load advice and the pictures. I love the color of that green rifle of yours Chuck! Looks simular to the HS precision green black web stock. I'm sure I'll have other questions as I think things out and gather more equipment. Thanks again everyone.

Take Care,

Dan

Grouse

I been calling from 6 months till now and mel has the same response that they are working on it and he will give me a call when it is ready.

Latest posts

Back