CVA Wolf/Blackhorn 209 corrosion test...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I've shot the Wolf! :D

I got the CVA Wolf in from Cabelas along with some mounts rings. I cleaned the muzzleloader up from one end to the other using Hoppes #9. Next I oiled everything with Birchwood/Casey Synthetic Gun Oil. I next mounted an old Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 on it that I've used for years. I'm ready for the range!

I got to the range and got out all my crap and put up a target at 25 yards. Next..removed the breech plug and bore sighted on someones old target way down range...close enough. Next up...swabbed the bore to remove xs oil and snapped a CCI 209 primer. Trigger pull, BTW averaged 5 lbs 7 ounces. Next..I shot the target at 25yds with 90gr BH209 and a 250 XTP/short black MMP and made necessary scope adjustments. Moved target to 100yds!

Shot my first group using 100gr BH209 and the 250gr XTP/short black MMP sabot. MV averaged 1785fps. The group actually was pretty good!

IMG_0029.JPG

Next..shot a group using a 250gr Barnes Expander and 100gr BH209. Boy was this bullet hard to SEAT...but it should NOT have led to THIS:

IMG_0032.JPG

BOY...that's ONE cheapo ramrod! It might do okay with Powderbelts but its no good for typical sabot use.

Anyway...the Expanders shot a little better:

IMG_0031.JPG

Muzzle velocity...1799fps

Next up..I shot some 275gr Parker Ballistic Extremes which didn't shoot as good as the other two bullets...muzzle velocity- 1768fps..

Photo001.JPG

Basically..that's all the Blackhorn 209 I have! :cry:

OVERALL...the Wolf accounted for itself pretty good, save the aluminum foil ramrod. No swabbing of any type whatsoever between shots. Of course this isn't a test of the CVA Wolf at all but a test to determine IF Blackhorn 209 has corrisive properties or not. When I got back home...I wiped off the OUTSIDE of the Wolf with the B/C gun oil and put it up. I didn't touch the bore, action, or breechplug! NOW...we'll see what happens! I'll shoot it some more when I get some more BH209. I'm not gonna clean then either.. 8)

IMG_0027.JPG

test

Chuck, quit flexing your muskles! We know your a good guy, poor ram rod.

Looking forward to where this all ends and results. Wonder if BT209 people are watching?????????????

Chuck that is one of those RR for loading to shoot around corners.
I have a Couple of those my self although mine don't worl to well. :D

Thanks Chuck for taking the time & effort to do this test. If you need any thing else gust let us Know please!

Ron

Thanks again for doing this test Chuck. That ramrod must be some soft aluminum? I don't think a stock Knight rod would bend that far without breaking (kinking), but I am not about to find out either.

I guess we are just waiting on time now. :wink:

Great report there... it looks like that rifle is not all that bad of a shooter.

Be sure and send that photo to CVA and show them the quality of their ramrod. If that is the best it can do, they need to really come up with a better solution then that.

Now to find a rare 90deg barrel to mate that ramrod with! The ultimate shoot around corners rifle... :D

I'm interested in seeing the effects of not cleaning the breech/barrel - all we need now is time.

Thanks for doing all the LEG WORK on this! :D U da man!

I think ya musta shot dat dare ramrod...fess up now...what did it chroney? :p

Alright, thanks Big for doing the work on this project. We're all waiting with great anticipation to see the results. The thought of going through the whole six weeks of various gun deer seasons we have here in MI without worrying about cleaning between shots and having to clean right when I get home is very exciting. I would like to have some to try in my wifes TK2000 before her turkey season starts the beginning of May to see if it works as well in a shotgun.

Chuck

Great news! Thanks for the testing 8)

Now about getting some more powder..... maybe you could coax the supplier to advance you some more for this SPECIAL Project, ya know like about... 2 cases :shock: 8)

Then you might want to share some of that TESTING powder with some forum folks :D And you could give it away, at cost, to...ahh...guys who's name's start with a random letter,...like "L" and end with the letter like.."E" :wink: :p

lane said:
Chuck

Great news! Thanks for the testing 8)

Now about getting some more powder..... maybe you could coax the supplier to advance you some more for this SPECIAL Project, ya know like about... 2 cases :shock: 8)

Then you might want to share some of that TESTING powder with some forum folks :D And you could give it away, at cost, to...ahh...guys who's name's start with a random letter,...like "L" and end with the letter like.."E" :wink: :p

I knew your middle name was LOVE! :lol:

This should prove interesting to see the actual results...

...but couldn't this be a rather expensive test for you if the product doesn't live up? (or does BH209 guarantee no corrosion?)

Paul.

paulslund said:
This should prove interesting to see the actual results...

...but couldn't this be a rather expensive test for you if the product doesn't live up? (or does BH209 guarantee no corrosion?)

Paul.

Paul, read this thread. The risk has been spread out. Chuck was the only one here with the powder, and was willing to accept Spits proposal. Thanks Chuck!

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=8500

Rob

Thanks for all the leg work Chuck-I know a busy man doesnt need anymore on his plate so 3 hail marys to you!!!

Chuck....!!!!

I don't want to start anything but,........Have ya checked it, Chuck?

IS IT RUSTIN YET???????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT have we created!!!!

After all this hype & hope it would be funny if ya picked the gun up off the hooks and the bareel fell off from the rust & crud ring rotting thru by the time ya get some 209!

Back