Shooting the Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoyed the pleasant weather this afternoon. Got up to 66 around here.
I brought the Wolf up to the range for a few shots. Last time, it was shooting a bit high and left. I've got it pretty centered now but still a bit high. I'll fix that next time.
Today's load was 80 grains (V) of Blackhorn with the Hornady XTP 240 grain bullets with the green sabot.
For one shot, I beefed up the charge to 90 grains. The shot struck pretty high as you can see. Maybe it was me but the gun seems to like the 80 grain charge.
All shots were @ 50 yards.
With the Wolf's short barrel, I think 80 grains of powder is probably best for it but I'll do more experimenting. 20230205_143056.jpg

Looks like you have a solid 80 v load at 50 yards. The 90 hitting higher, as said shoot it for group n try them out at 100 yards. So you see if they stay nice or open up

I’m sure it’s different for different guns. I have an old optima pro and a not too old optima v2 and they both seem to like around 100-110 grains by volume. The optima pro with 777, and the v2 with black horn.

Good shooting and nice group!
Those xtps seem to shoot well.
Going to try them out in my brother's
Wolf along with the 250 sst I think.
Another gun to tinker with this summer!

With the price of Blackhorn and a great group at 80, why go up...that load will certainly drop a deer. I've written before about my lack of enthusiasm for the 240 grain...it did kill both deer I shot with it but one ran quite a way with no blood. This year I used the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ and deer DRT. I intended to test the 300 grain Hornady XTP, but no shot presented itself...alas.

I enjoyed the pleasant weather this afternoon. Got up to 66 around here.
I brought the Wolf up to the range for a few shots. Last time, it was shooting a bit high and left. I've got it pretty centered now but still a bit high. I'll fix that next time.
Today's load was 80 grains (V) of Blackhorn with the Hornady XTP 240 grain bullets with the green sabot.
For one shot, I beefed up the charge to 90 grains. The shot struck pretty high as you can see. Maybe it was me but the gun seems to like the 80 grain charge.
All shots were @ 50 yards.
With the Wolf's short barrel, I think 80 grains of powder is probably best for it but I'll do more experimenting. View attachment 30889
Nice to have a load combo in your pocket you can take hunting. :lewis:

Just got my Hornady XTP 240's and sabot in the mail today from Midway so I hope my group in my Wolf is as good as yours. I'll probably be testing with the white hot type stuff first. I do have the BH replacement do-hicky and some BH so will go to that afterwards.

Just got my Hornady XTP 240's and sabot in the mail today from Midway so I hope my group in my Wolf is as good as yours. I'll probably be testing with the white hot type stuff first. I do have the BH replacement do-hicky and some BH so will go to that afterwards.
Hope you have good success.
I got the Wolf as new from a member here.
Yesterday was only the second time out with it.
I think I have only 12 shots through it to date.
It's fast becoming one of my favorite muzzleloaders.

Back