CVA Wolf/Blackhorn 209 corrosion test...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wondering if anyone has ever done this same type of test with the other BP substitutes out there? how long do T7 and Pyrodex take to rust a barrel?

Spitpatch said:
Chuck....!!!!

I don't want to start anything but,........Have ya checked it, Chuck?

IS IT RUSTIN YET???????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT have we created!!!!

Well YEAH I've checked it! Very anticlimactic. Absolutely NOTHING going on!

just wondering if anyone has ever done this same type of test with the other BP substitutes out there? how long do T7 and Pyrodex take to rust a barrel?

Well in my experience...pretty soon. Easily within a month for Triple Se7en. I really depends on where one lives. Out West..really not as much worries..east of the Mississippi...ALABAMA! :D Pretty quick! Lots of humidity.

That HYGROSCOPIC stuff will get ya every time.

Did I spell that right????? :?

guys

You gave him longer to collect the money! Another 2 weeks making it a month ain't gonna hurt. My gun er-a-aa the drawing gun surely will not rust out in 2 weeks?

Well in my experience...pretty soon. Easily within a month for Triple Se7en. I really depends on where one lives. Out West..really not as much worries..east of the Mississippi...ALABAMA! :D Pretty quick! Lots of humidity.[/quote]

How about with Pyrodex... Can you say "OVERNIGHT?!" :shock:

lungbuster1 said:
2 week up date! :think:

NOTHING! I kind of scratched off a little place that LOOKED a little fishy...nothing at all..

BTW...I contributed a Knight Power Rod in place of the CVA POS!

big6x6 said:
lungbuster1 said:
2 week up date! :think:

NOTHING! I kind of scratched off a little place that LOOKED a little fishy...nothing at all..

BTW...I contributed a Knight Power Rod in place of the CVA POS!

See how you are!!

What a stand up guy!!!
Keep peeking and let us know...

well spit....

I think you are on to something! Maybe a raffle every now and then is all we need to wipe away the summer blues...

Doohan said:
well spit....

I think you are on to something! Maybe a raffle every now and then is all we need to wipe away the summer blues...

+1 I second that!

Ron

Doohan said:
well spit....

Yah, I accidentally swerved into something, huh? :lol: :lol:

How was the ram-rod pressure for the rest of the shooting? Did you have trouble with only the one shot , or did the seating pressure keep increasing with additional shots or how did it go?

Last time i saw a ramrod like that, i had just picked myself up off the ground and went looking for my ramrod that i had accidently shot 150 yards up range :lol: Those aluminum ramrods sure pack a punch at both ends.

Whats wrong with the wolf's ramrod? Is it that thin tin tubing like on the Nef sidekick?

Bob Bowers did an open burn test of several powders on two types of steel several years back.

Pyrodex took the crown but T7 wasn't far behind timewise. ClearShot and Cleanshot didn't do much except the Clear made a puddle of water initially. No true blacks were tested at that time.

416LJT said:
How was the ram-rod pressure for the rest of the shooting? Did you have trouble with only the one shot , or did the seating pressure keep increasing with additional shots or how did it go?

I have noted no change in seating pressure from the first shot to the last. AMAZINGLY consistant. The 250gr Barnes Expander was just an extremely tight fit as it frequently is.

It may be premature to say , but I will anyway. This stuff is looking pretty good. Not to burden you BIG6X6, but , did you track what the extreme spread and or standard deviation was for shots in the groups? I see that you stated the average vel. but as you know that can sometimes raise more questions than answers.

Almost makes a guy feel like he's shooting "smokeless."

I will reserve judgement.

NimrodRx said:
Almost makes a guy feel like he's shooting "smokeless."

That's how Black Mag 3 struck me when I first used it 10 or so years ago when first released by the originator thru his company ARCO Powder.

MagKor in partnership with MDM is supposed to have it available soon in loose powder form, as opposed to those MDM cartridge doohickeys.

( http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com/NewThunderCharge.html )

THAT (loose BM 3) might make for another good test. :wink:

416LJT said:
It may be premature to say , but I will anyway. This stuff is looking pretty good. Not to burden you BIG6X6, but , did you track what the extreme spread and or standard deviation was for shots in the groups? I see that you stated the average vel. but as you know that can sometimes raise more questions than answers.

I didn't go the trouble of figuring the SD but of course ES is easy as I write down the velocity of every shot in my log book. Shot to shot ES was very low. Example: Knight KRB/100gr BH209/275gr Ballistic Extreme- low 1766fps high 1782fps for 10 shots... ES-16 fps. Same load from a Knight LRH- low 1777fps high 1804fps for 10 shots ES-27fps. AWESOME for volumetically measured powder charges. Reason? Absolutely NO change in product consistancy from the top of the can to the bottom.

Back